• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Spdif?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

two_dope2000

What exactly can the SPDIF input and out put do and what are they for? and what are the advantages of using the optical output?

I use the spdif out on the back of my sound card for my speakers. I don't have an spdif in or an optical... I believe if you have a home theater system with these connections... you could hook them up to that:D

There are two types of digtal connections, Coax(regular RCA looking) and Optical which usees fiber optic cable.

I use the digital outputs on my card with my home theater to carry the digital signal to my receiver which then decodes it in either digital PCM stereo for music or DD5.1 or DTS5.1 for movies.

Using the digital connections is much more convienient since it can carry all 6 channels of sound on one cable, wereas using the analog you would need to hook a cable to each of the six channels.

I don't use the inputs, but they could be used to hook up an external digital source like a cd player, mini disk or DAT to record digitally to your computer.

piggyback question... if i were to run a 1/4 inch phono plug - to - rca adapter out of the coax digital output of my audigy card, into my jvc dts receiver, would i lose any digital signal? do i need a special adapter to do this? tia

it confuses me because a coax digital [non-optical, in other words] input of a receiver is just one RCA plug. i'm wondering, if i use a stereo 1/4-inch --> male RCA adapter out of my digital output on my audigy card, into my rca digital dts receiver, will things work correctly? i'm going to test it all out when i get back to school this weekend, but i'm wondering what i'll need to pick up to make it all work.

btw, the tv-out on my pny geforce3 ti200 works fine with the nvidia 23.11 drivers. some others said they were having trouble with the 23.11s? beats me.

xdroorsx said:
btw, the tv-out on my pny geforce3 ti200 works fine with the nvidia 23.11 drivers. some others said they were having trouble with the 23.11s? beats me.

Ditto:D :p
*edit* Actually not ditto... mines a gainward:rolleyes:

Just a assumption but it should work... I have the Boston Acoustics BA735 digital speakers and they worked fine doing the same thing... the input for the speakers is an rca plug... I just baught a phono to rca cable at radio shack and put a stereo adapter on the phono plug... No noticible difference now that I'm back to the cable that came with the speakers...:)

thank you very much :) i'll just give it a go with that plan, and keep my fingers crossed. thanks again

Back