• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I think might try Intel.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

minimalist

Registered
Okay, is there any Intel MOBO/CPU combo that could beat this?
(I'm sure there is. When I say beat I mean price/performance.)

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16813138105
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16819103228

(I don't know how to overclock, but I'm sure you guys will teach me, right guys?)

P.S. I want a Micro ATX MOBO.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Going with:
MOBO: GA-EP43-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX
CPU: E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz
RAM: G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000)
HDD: Seagate ES.2 ST3250310NS 250GB
Fan/Heatsink: XIGMATEK HDT-S1283
Graphics: MSI NX8400GS-TD256EH GeForce 8400 GS

Last edited:
Yea, I'm asking what Intel CPU + Intel motherboard would be better than that (with OCing).

By better, you mean faster? Then the answer is just about ANY Intel socket 775 motherboard Core 2 Duo CPU combo.

I'm not being flippant here, but it is that wide open. The remaining questions are:

Your budget
What features you want on a motherboard
What overclocking potential are you looking for
What work role(s) will be the priority for your computer
What PSU did you intend to use

I want to save money, hehe. I just want to know what would be better/equivalent to that for a cheaper/equivalent price, in Intel.

Thanks, for the speedy responses guys, I'm new here.

Your budget
Maybe 200-280 for the MOBO/CPU alone.

What PSU did you intend to use
I have a Corsair 520W PSU.

Last edited:
From the looks of what you showed, your best bet is to go with one of the P35 DS3L, DSP boards or P35-DS4 boards like the rest said. Not much in the way of Intel boards in MATX with limited FSB. You want a board capable of 1600 with an E6600, E8200 or E8400.

If you really want MATX you may consider to ask about the Sapphire 780G in the AMD area as AMDs don't have MOBO issues with FSB with the 7xx series.

C2's are were the speed is for serious overclocks.

If you are on a tight budget go with the E7200. It has less cache than an E8400 but will run the same clocks. With decent cooling you are almost guaranteed 4ghz.

Stay away from the E6550. It has more cache but the multi will require a nice mobo/ram combo and there is almost no chance you will hit 4ghz.

As for boards go for the P35 chipset.

The leading choices would be the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L, Abit I35 series, or the Asus P5K series. The base models of all will work fine but if you need more features feel free to step up to a Pro or Premium level board.

Good luck and have fun with the build. OCing on Intel is unbelievably easy.

EDIT: Missed the micro-ATX form factor. If that is a requirement I can't help you there.

I think am going with the E7200, but are there any other Micro ATX mobo's that I should take a look at?

I think the G33 chipset is your best bet for mATX, especially since you want to be able to push that e7200. I'm not too familiar w/ mATX boards though, so I can't guarantee that. anandtech had the best OCing results with the board that I linked.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3111&p=8

I think the G33 chipset is your best bet for mATX, especially since you want to be able to push that e7200. I'm not too familiar w/ mATX boards though, so I can't guarantee that. anandtech had the best OCing results with the board that I linked.

http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=3111&p=8

Alright, thanks! I'm going with both you suggested, but one question when you overclock: do you install your OS first then change the BIOS settings or the other way around? Or it doesn't matter?

Here's the OS installation regime:

Install windows at default clock and voltages
Install all drivers " " " "
Install your main programs " " " "
Test system for stability, operating temperatures

Then start your overclocking. Probably must of us crusty, dyed-in-the-wool overclockers will jump right into overclocking within an hour after building/upgrading a machine, but we will usually be able to discern defective hardware or bad drivers. If you are new to overclocking, you may very well have a difficult time distinguishing between an overclocking-induced instability versus other problems. So give your machine a day or two at default clock and voltages before overclocking.

if you can wait a bit intels new G43/G45 chipsets will be out.. intel and matx ocing really didnt hit till G33 came out. as lots of Asus and gigabyte boards with G33 are doing over 400mhz fsb...the only matx gigabyte board to suggest is no longer on the market for some reason,was really popular too.

I would highly suggest you go with a E7200 solid ocer so far!

Last edited:
You could try gigabyte G33-S2L if you dont need firewire, mine was able to take an E8400 to 4.3GHz. I also have an S2H, not as good OCer as the S2L.

Hey guys if I were to go ATX what would be my best bet in the 0-150 dollar range (still keeping overclocking in mind)?

Back