• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wireless N question? (Best Linksys Router should work fastest also with Dell wifi-N)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TommyHolly

Wireless N question? (Best Linksys Router should work fastest also with Dell wifi-N)

I've been chatting with both Dell and Linksys over this one.

Linksys claims that to fully utilize thier best router, the WRT600N, you need to use it in conjunction with thier best USB wi-fi card, the WUSB600N. They say this because it's Dual-band and claim nothing else will work. However, after speaking with Dell and looking at the specs of the wireless-N card in my XPS 1330 laptop, it seems I have a Dual-Band card as well. I think that my card should get the fastest speeds and range available and Linksys is just clueless or doesn't know...

I think that any "Dual Band" Wireless-N card should work with the Linksys "Ultra Range Plus" and get the maximum speed and range exactly the same as if you bought a Linksys brand wireless card with dual-band.

Here are the chat sessions:

Dell:
Code:
05/27/2008 06:03:58PM Session Started with Agent (Allen _138130) 
05/27/2008 06:04:16PM Agent (Allen _138130): "Thank you for contacting XPS Premium Support. 
My name is Allen and my rep ID number is 138130. How may I assist you today?" 
Agent (Allen _138130): "Hello, Tommy." 
Tommy: "Hello Allen... I have a Dell Wireless 1505 802.11n WLAN mini card in my XPS 1330..." 
(Allen _138130): "Okay." 
Tommy: "I want to know, will it utilize the Linksys WRT600N routers boosted range 
of thier "Ultra Range Plus"?" 
(Allen _138130): "I would be very glad to offer assistance regarding your issue." 
(Allen _138130): "Please give me 2 to 3 minutes to pull up your account information. 
In the meantime may I have your telephone number, along with the area code
 to update our records?" 
Tommy: "Your specs of teh card says that Dell wireless N cards utilize 
the MIMO technology. (Using multiple signals in teh 2.4GHz and 5.0GHz range to extend
 the range.) But Linksys says that you need to purcahse thier special card to use that feature." 
Tommy: "Sure. =)" 
(Allen _138130): "Thank you." 
(Allen _138130): "Yes, you are correct." 
(Allen _138130): "Band 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz" 
(Allen _138130): "Channel span for Draft N 40 MHz in both 2.4 and 5.0 GHz bands" 
(Allen _138130): "The router should pick up the signal. if it is within the range." 
Agent (Allen _138130): "Are you using this router?" 
Tommy: "Again, Linksys says I need to purchase a WUSB600N (Wireless-N USB card) 
to utilize thier fastest speeds and range. Is that true? Shouldn't the Dell wireless N card 
do the exact same thing or is Linksys correct?" 
(Allen _138130) sends page: "http://computershopper.com/reviews/linksys-n-ultra-range-plus-router-wrt310n" 
Tommy: "The router I am using works with my Dell laptop, but they said to get the best 
range and speed, I need to purchase a Linksys USB wireless-N card." 
Tommy: "Is that true?" 
(Allen _138130): "Oh! okay." 
Allen _138130): "The router should pick up the signal to the best range 
which the card is supporting." 
Tommy: "Linsys has different routers... thier best router is a "Dual Band" model. 
Apparently not all the routers that have wireless N that arew on the market have that feature." 
Tommy: "Because only one type of router that Lynksis has... Thier best model is 
the WRT600N with 600 foot range, says it needs a wireless USB card from Linksys (WUSB600N) 
to get that range, otherwise they say if you use a normal laptop built in card, it wont get" 
  as far??? Is that true? 
Tommy: "The link that you gave me is to a "Single-Band" router form Linksys. 
What I am talking about is a "Dual-Band" router. Here is a link: http://computershopper.com/reviews/linksys-dual-band-wireless-n-gigabit-router-with-storage-link-wrt600n" 
(Allen _138130): "http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/wlan/en/UG_EN/index.htm" 
(Allen _138130): "Please look at the specifications of the card." 
(Allen _138130) sends page: "http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/network/wlan/en/UG_EN/index.htm" 
Tommy: "So what I guess i am asking... Is the built in Dell Wireless card a Dual Band?" 
Tommy: "I'll look in the specs..." 
Tommy: "The specifications you gave me do not list if the Dell card is single or dual band?" 
(Allen _138130): "Card type 802.11a/b/g dual band – 802.11n draft" 
(Allen _138130): "It is a dual band" 
Tommy: "oh really? Cool! I will show Linksys what you said and see why they are claiming it will not work." 
Tommy: "Thank you very much" 
(Allen _138130): "You are welcome." 
(Allen _138130): "Would there be anything else that I can help you out with today?" 
Tommy: "No I am done. Thank you very much!"

Linksys 4th chat:
Code:
Tommy: Hello, I have spoken with Linksys reps 3 times and have gotten 3 different answers... Please help me set things straight
Tommy: My question...
Tommy: What is the maximum range of the WRT600N?
Angeline B. (22726): Hello Tommy.
Tommy: I was told this: Harshad Desai (47750): For the WRT350N you can get upto 200 feet and for the WRT600N you can get upto 300 - 350 feet.
Harshad Desai (47750): In ideal conditions for the WRT600N it is 350 feet.
Tommy: By the technical support over the phone just 2 minutes ago, I was told that the WRT600N router only has a maximum range of 100 feet! I asked him if he was sure about that and he said he is 100% sure and the sales department was wrong??
Angeline B. (22726): I see.
Angeline B. (22726): I am sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you, Tommy.
Tommy: Its OK, I understand... Its a new product and its confusing for everyone. I just want to know who is correct? Does the WRT600N have a maximum range of 350 feet or does it have a maximum range of 100 feet?
Angeline B. (22726): Let me give you a link that will show you on what you should be getting if you are using a wireless N technology.
Angeline B. (22726): Please go to the link below.
Angeline B. (22726): http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Content_C1&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1116519870339&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=7033991160L02
Tommy: Thank you for the link... But the link does not answer the question. the link simply states that the Dual-Band Wireless N with Ultra Range Plus (Which the WRT600N is I am assuming...please confirm this) is 4 times farther then the wireless G.... It does not say how far that is, only that its 4 times farther then G.

Tommy: So my questions are still:
Tommy: 1. How far will the WRT600N transmit and receive (in feet)?
Tommy: 2. Is the WRT600N is Dual-Band Wireless N with Ultra Range Plus?
Tommy: 3. Is there a Dual-Band Wireless N with Ultra Range Plus PCI card for the computer? I was told there is one called the WMP600N but I cant find it anywhere online or even on a Google Search??
Angeline B. (22726): Since the WRT600N can get 4X range than the wireless G router. And the wireless G router can have a maximum range of 100-150 feet, that means that the WRT600N can get a maximum range of 400-600 feet.
Tommy: That is what I thought... For some reason, 2 different people at Linksys have told me that it only has a maximum range of 100 feet? (1 person was from sales, the other technical support.) At least the last person I spoke to over chat confirmed the same thing you did. For some reason, the people that I talk to over the phone don't have the same information as you?
Tommy: That asnwers question #1... How about question #2? 2. Is the WRT600N is Dual-Band Wireless N with Ultra Range Plus?

Angeline B. (22726): I am sorry about that. The persons that you have talked to may have confused the router for something else.
Tommy: No need to apologize. I understand. =)

Linksys 5th chat:
Code:
Tommy: Is the WRT600N is Dual-Band Wireless N with Ultra Range Plus?

Kathrena C. (24616): Let me pull up your record so that you wont have to 
repeat all you information again.
Tommy: No problem, I can type 80 words a minute
Tommy: I have a WRT600N wireless router...
Tommy: I was speaking to Angeline B. (22726)
Kathrena C. (24616): Yes. WRT600N is a Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router with Storage Link. 
Kathrena C. (24616): Yes. You were speaking with Angeline.
Kathrena C. (24616): It is like it has a built-in Ultra Range Plus because it can 
cater 300 feet indoors and 600 feet out doors.
Tommy: What is storage link? Is that the ability to connect a wireless Hard Drive? 
Or do you need to have the Hard Drive connected with a CAT5 cable and it can act as a seperate storage device?
Kathrena C. (24616): It has to be wired using a CAT 5 cable.
Tommy: I see, so not all routers have that ability then?
Kathrena C. (24616): That is correct.
Tommy: I have another router, the WRT150N...does that have storage link?
Kathrena C. (24616): Only WRT350N and WRT600N has that feature.
Tommy: Gotcah thanks...OK next question
Kathrena C. (24616): No problem. 
Tommy: Is there a Dual-Band Wireless N with Ultra Range Plus PCI card for the computer? 
I was told there is one called the WMP600N but I cant find it anywhere online or even on a Google Search??

Kathrena C. (24616): Yes. We do have WPC600N for laptops and WMP600N for 
desktop but you can buy a WUSB600N that you can connect to a laptop or a desktop.
Tommy: Where can I find that WMP600N? I don't see it on Google or any website... 
A few forums mention it is coming out. Is it out yet?
Kathrena C. (24616): I'm sorry. I have verified it to my immediate superior and it have not been released yet.
Kathrena C. (24616): I'm sorry for that but we already have reviews about it.
Tommy: Does it say when it is being released?
Tommy: No need to apologize, you are doing a great job answering questions.
Kathrena C. (24616): It will be posted on Linksys web site when it will be released to the market.
Kathrena C. (24616): I'm sorry. We do not have exact date yet when that day will be.
Tommy: Gotcha, so it looks like I need to buy either the USB or teh Wireless game adapter...
Tommy: Is the Wireless USB connector (WUSB600N) have the same range and power 
as the wireless game adapter (WGA600N)? I play games on my PC and I also have a Playstation III. 
The Linksys sales department told me I should only buy the WUSB600N for my PC for some strange
 reason and the WGA600N for my playstation III?
Tommy: Why wouldn't I want to buy the wireless game adapter (WGA600N) for my PC
 as well since i play games on it? 
Kathrena C. (24616): Game adapters Tommy will be recognized by the router as for gaming 
purpose so it will be prioritized while PC adapters are just for Internet connection.
Kathrena C. (24616): I'm sorry for the delay.
Tommy: But if I play games on my PC, wouldnt I want a Gaming Adapter?
Kathrena C. (24616): You can use that too. It's okay.
Tommy: I am assuming that if I play online games on my PC, that I'd want a gaming adapter so my PC had priority...
Kathrena C. (24616): You can use both adapters to a PC or a gaming console.
Tommy: Gotcha, that is what I thought. I was told by sales department that a gaming adapter will not work!? ha ha ha
Kathrena C. (24616): It will work.
Kathrena C. (24616): The game adapter is just like a wireless bridge.
Tommy: Thanks... That pretty much answers all my questions. I will look on the linksys website
 in the future for the WMP600N and teh WCP600N
Tommy: Thank you and goodnight. =)

Last edited:
Wireless-N is Wireless-N. It's a standard and is not up to interpretation/modification by individual companies. Anything utilizing that protocol will work with others using the same (in theory), whether it be Dell, Linksys, Netgear, whatever. The range, however, can be a completely different story, depending on how each company designs their router.

i thought the network manufacutrers (aka linksys, dlink, netgear) have their own "methods" of reaching that speed booster feature (or range) ?

it could very well be liscencing issues that are preventing other companies from sharing out their technologies, but in theroy your dual band card should work with the modem the way dual band should

i thought the network manufacutrers (aka linksys, dlink, netgear) have their own "methods" of reaching that speed booster feature (or range) ?

They do, that's what I was saying. It's company-specific how they actually meet the range and throughput requirements, but that's more of a black box type scenario. The end-user doesn't have to care how they get it done, just that they do get it done.

They do, that's what I was saying. It's company-specific how they actually meet the range and throughput requirements, but that's more of a black box type scenario. The end-user doesn't have to care how they get it done, just that they do get it done.

yeah, i think i'm under the impression that Tommy is getting the run around from dell? am i correct?

Um... USB is not Cat 5 or Cat 5e. The "storage link" is a USB host port on the router to connect a USB drive (hard drive or flash drive). Linksys support has always amazed me... I once asked them what the connector type for the antenna on a WRT54G was, and they couldn't give me an answer :bang head

Anyway, the Dell card and the WRT600N will definitely work together just fine. 802.11a is not a new standard, and 802.11n, while not yet truly "standard", isn't exactly bleeding-edge. I've used Buffalo, D-Link, and Linksys USB and PCI 802.11n adapters with my WRT350N and all of them managed at least 270Mbps connections.

Last edited:
I'm getting the runaround from Linksys... Although they make great products in the past, it seems not many people that work in sales or customer service know that much about thier own product. Dell was and has been very helpfull.

The main question I've been trying to figure out is, if my Dell Dual-band wireless-N card will get the maximum range from the Linksys WRT600N router? I know it will work fine together but will it get the same range as the linksys (WUSB600N) USB wireless-N card?

Linksys said that only thier USB wireless-N card will get a 600 foot range because they are the only ones who have the "dual-band" technology. When I spoke to Dell, they clearly stated that thier built-in wireless card is a "dual-band".

It can only be one of these 3 things:
1. Linksys has something else special (that nobody at linksys has told me about) installed in thier wireless cards and routers that gives them the extra range besides dual-band.
2. Some kind of software that checks for a Linksys product and denies the extra range on anything that is not Linksys.
3. The built-in Dell card actually does work just as well as the Linksys. (If so, I wonder if there is a way for me to check besides looking at the "Excellent" or "Good" rating on the connection.)

Dual-band doesn't have much to do with extending range, other than that a 5GHz signal has potentially more range than a 2.4GHz signal (though it is also more easily obstructed by solid materials). MIMO also doesn't really matter, it's for making a stronger signal, and having more bandwidth. The only things that will really get you better range are higher power output (on both ends), and better antennas (antennae?), which aren't replaceable on the latest Linksys models, and are usually not replaceable on laptops. Transmit power on WUSB600N is 16dbm. Dell 1500 (and I assume their other abgn cards also) also has 16dbm transmit power. It'll be the same range as the WUSB600N, or possibly slightly less due to no external antenna on the laptop.

From your list, #1 is unlikely, as they would have had to have it FCC approved, and there would likely be news of it, #2 would be illegal, and #3 would be true :)

G router has better range than that wireless n router working with dell wireless. Though it will varies from location to location.

router.jpg

Last edited:
I've been trying to help my friend out at his apartment building. His family owns the building and rents out shops and they use the internet too. He lives in the building but his apartment is 80 feet from the cable modem and his wall is over 2 feet thick of brick. (The building was built in the early 1900's)

The wireless G router barely had 1 bar of signal. I had him buy a WRT600N because the peopel at Linksys said that router is much more powerfull and could have a easier time of penetrating the wall or simply going around the wall by bouncing off objects.

I would suggest you get a USB or Cardbus (preferably Cardbus, much more reliable than USB) adapter with an external antenna plug, and get a high-gain antenna.

Back