• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hardware Firewall

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deez

I would like to build a firewall for extra protection at my house and I'm not really sure where to start or look for advice. I have an old P166 system that I'm about to put back together. I've heard that LINUX is best for building a firewall but there are so many flavors and I dont know too much about LINUX or firewalls.

But anyway my home network is DSL modem---SMC barricade routher with built-in 4 port switch. Dynamic IP address from ISP and my network is also dynamic. The router has a firewall but I dont know if thats enough protection

The router should provide enough protection for you via NAT.

Using Linux as a router will basically do the same thing with IPChains so I wouldn't really bother. If you do decide to set up a secondary router behind the SMC with Linux (another router is all it will basically be) you're going to find it somewhat difficult if you don't know Linux very well or at all.

It's not so bad if it's the only gateway on your network, but can be a headache if you have to map routes.

I've been behind a NetGear router for 2 years and haven't had a single incident.

deez said:
I would like to build a firewall for extra protection at my house and I'm not really sure where to start or look for advice. I have an old P166 system that I'm about to put back together. I've heard that LINUX is best for building a firewall but there are so many flavors and I dont know too much about LINUX or firewalls.

But anyway my home network is DSL modem---SMC barricade routher with built-in 4 port switch. Dynamic IP address from ISP and my network is also dynamic. The router has a firewall but I dont know if thats enough protection

I say that your router is enough protection, try this
and here

Back