• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC Mod's window kits?????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

foxman350

Registered
I recently purchased this kit and was attempting the installation of this thing and after a couple of hours of trying to make the thing work, I gave up. I cut the oval hole in my case according to the specs they gave, but when i went to put window in it keeps trying to pop out or fall out. Was wondering if anyone else has used these kits and might know what i could do to make this thing fit in there???

Well, since you got no answers, I'll give it a go. I don't use kits at all.
Guessing that you have the 'H' channel trim (with one gutter for the glass and one for the case metal) maybe the washer they supplied was slightly out of spec. This would cause the hole to be a bit small and put too much pressure on the rubber.
You could try filing the openning a tad bit larger to relieve the pressure.
I've had a pickup truck back window that did this, I found the replacement glass was 1mm taller then the stock glass. Luckily it fell inward on the 'king cabs' back seats instead of into the box breaking when it landed. Widening the hole in the metal frame took care of the problem.

Just a thought, hope you find the cause.

Yeah it seems to be a bit small, takes a lot of work to get window in and then once it is in the channel for the chanel lock seems squeezed i have tried to file down the edges of the holes but doesnt seem to help very much.

Well then, try this. Find a washer who's edge thicknes is slightly thicker than the moulding's center piece (see diagram).
Lay the case panel down and lay the window on it the way it's supposed to go. Using a pencil with the tip in the hole of the washer, draw a line around the plexiglass on the metal case panel. The washer will keep the line the correct distance away from the plexiglass. The hole in the metal case panel should be at the outside edge of the line.
You can also use this trick to make a template. If the hole is little bit bigger than the pencil mark, it's okay. They moulding you described has a locking channel, and will take up any slack. But nowhere should the case metal be inside the line, or it should be trimmed back.

This is kinda hard to describe, I hope I explained it well enough.

Back