• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Killzone 2 Trailer (PS3) Uses RayTracing Technology

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/34201.html

The game will use RayTracing (see below on what that is) but it looks amazing I hope it's going to be like that for the full product like no framerate drops or slicing when your moving around etc but a defo game worth keeping an eye on. I'll admit I didn't like the 1st game on PS2 the movement of characters didn't feel right too stiff but this I can't wait to play a demo.

The only problem I have is the A.I for the enemy they seem to run towards the explosive barrels and there seems to be no serious cover and flank but maybe it's the code and it'll be better in the final game.

(Explanation of RayTracing)

In computer graphics, ray tracing is a technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light through pixels in an image plane. The technique is capable of producing a very high degree of photorealism; usually higher than that of typical scanline rendering methods, but at a greater computational cost. This makes ray tracing best suited for applications where the image can be rendered slowly ahead of time, such as in still images and film and television special effects, and more poorly suited for real-time applications like computer games where speed is critical. Ray tracing is capable of simulating a wide variety of optical effects, such as reflection and refraction, scattering, and chromatic aberration.

Still the Pre-Alpha build, I wouldn't worry too much.

Also the guy playing is amazing :D

Wow, maybe the budget this game is getting will pay off. If this studio can really unleash the PS3s power then I hope they allow some of their techniques to be used by others. (Atleast in-house studios))

I'm not a Sony fan by any means... in fact, for the most part, I do my best not to buy any Sony products (not a fan of the company in general... my dislike is not just limited to Playstation products), but I'll be damned if that doesn't look like a really sweet FPS. Looks to be a strong possibility that Sony might break out of their crappy first-party FPS funk that they've been in. It looks great... as long as it's got a decent story, isn't super glitchy, has some form of online multiplayer, it should do well.

I wonder if this one was pre-rendered as well.

But seriously. Once the game gets into even a beta state we'll know a bit better how it will actually perform. I'm just skeptical given the long and complicated history of this game.

I wonder if this one was pre-rendered as well.

But seriously. Once the game gets into even a beta state we'll know a bit better how it will actually perform. I'm just skeptical given the long and complicated history of this game.

I felt deja-vu while watching the trailer for the game. It seemed like we already experienced the scene. It also did not look as good as the trailer for the original KZ.

the OP's video was pretty good, but nothing that made me go WOW. same .... different day.

The graphics looked pretty good, but the gameplay doesn't have much new and that convoy level reminds me of another fps. I think it was Quake 4.

/\That is true, but do games have to offer something new to be good? That being said gameplay looks like it is getting the back burner to graphics IMO.

Looks like a good-ole shoot em up with pretty graphics... kinds like HL2 or Painkiller (those fun, simple formula FPSs)

It's hit or miss IMO.
If it's good, it's very good.
Otherwise it'll be bland.

And the ray tracing refers to the global lighting model from the looks of it, gives some nice graphics but it's just raster with ray lights.

The dude talking about the game is a total goober, "ooh I got that guys attention" uhh ok...

Anyway the grphx do look pretty, we will see just how dynamic and smart the AI really is when it comes out, im not impressed by the AI just from the video though.

Killzone will probably be nice...

But, the pumping up the of use of Raytracing has me very unimpressed. It's a gimick.

I've been using raytracing with 3D rendering since the mid 90's. It's nothing new, and it can indeed produce nice visuals. I've certainly had some fun producing amazingly interesting and detailed still pictures utilizing very simple geometric objects and reflective and transparent surfaces combined with insanely cranked up raytracing. The computation cost involved with cranking up the effects and number of bounces and such gets insane really fast, though...it is not at all suited to real time rendering done in video games. The only way they could make it work is to strip it down to a very basic calculation that no longer provides those highly realistic results. Essentially, it's just another gimick visual effect like so many others. It might be a nice little effect when they're done with it, but there's lots of nice little effects out there. Most likely, it's a way for them to make their game look a little bit different from the rest rather than necessarily better - knowing that the computation power that they devote to it would otherwise be utilized for something else to improve visual quality. Kind of like Halo3 trading some HDR type lighting effects for rendering resolution.

Raytracing isn't being done on the fly, I asked a professional artist in the games industry, the raytracing is pre-calculated and then baked into the level. I believe they're using it for the god-rays coming through the window, but I'm not sure what else.

Okay, so now we have glitter beams stuck into the level. :)

Which is nice, I'm all about nice artistry in lieu of using more and more processing to make things look good.

Although, I wouldn't call it raytracing anymore. They might have used raytracing to create the visual, but it's not the game actually doing raytracing.

It's like when Killer Instinct got put onto the SNES...the characters were 3D art pre-rendered into 2D sprites. The game was definitely a 2D game using sprites, but it looked kinda 3D because the art was made from 3D renderings.

Back