• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Get out of my brain, man!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

Hee hee! Or not! It's almost here: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38413

Can't friggin wait to play with this thing, the software looks interesting, and maybe this will make up for my disappointment with Mass Effect not supporting gamepads :)

edit: Showing stock in 2 days here http://www.nulime.com/OCZ-Neural-Impulse-Actuator/p274694 for $172.50 shipped, they have OK resellerratings.. No listed ETA on compsource, http://www.compsource.com/pn/OCZMSNIA/Ocz_Technology_1330/ for $160 shipped..

Last edited:
i remember seeing that thing on one of the CES reviews wasnt it 07? sure does look intersting though...

Still can't find a place that has one in stock. OCZ says the shipped a while ago. Anyone know where to get it?

try froggle.com and see what turns up... not intereseted in buying it...

Maybe he meant one of these
106716_lg.jpg

:p

It does not seem expensive enough to produce reliable enough readings, even by implanting chips into peoples heads, programs can still only move a cursor across the screen and bring an apple to them on a robotic arm at a very slow pace. What features in a games does this thing actually do? There is no way you would be able to run around and shoot at things with a $160 head band. I see it as being more of a novelty that will become irritating very quickly as it makes misreadings. Now if it cost in the range of $10,000 or more then maybe, just maybe, it would actually be an enjoyable experience, that is after you empty your piggy banks.

I would love to see an accuracy test on this thing.

It does not seem expensive enough to produce reliable enough readings, even by implanting chips into peoples heads, programs can still only move a cursor across the screen and bring an apple to them on a robotic arm at a very slow pace. What features in a games does this thing actually do? There is no way you would be able to run around and shoot at things with a $160 head band. I see it as being more of a novelty that will become irritating very quickly as it makes misreadings. Now if it cost in the range of $10,000 or more then maybe, just maybe, it would actually be an enjoyable experience, that is after you empty your piggy banks.

I would love to see an accuracy test on this thing.

Looks to me like it works just fine

It replaces the keyboard, you still need a mouse to play.

edit: BTW, follow the first link at the beginning of this post. Look at the configuration screens. It seems to have 6 bands plus muscle sensing. It mentions Brainfingers, which IIRC was something I looked into about 5 years ago. They made something somewhat similar to this, though priced in the thousands. Perhaps they are at the point where it's ready to go mainstream and is no longer an 'early adopters only' technology.

I am just comparing it to the BrainGate which was an actual chip that was implanted into this guy's brain with a wire connecting to a port on his head. That was done in 2005 and only allowed him to move a cursor around a screen with difficulty. Barring the surgical procedures and medical costs, I am sure that just the hardware cost in the $10,000s range. Based on the size of the targets, I would venture to guess that it was not that accurate. Just a point of reference.

After all the account of its functionality was done by an OZC Rep and that we cannot tell how accurate it is based off of screenshots.

442125a-i2.0.jpg

Last edited:
I think that he is looking at a different screen. His whole body is oriented in a rather awkward fashion to be playing the game that successfully, especially when you look at how lazy his mouse movements are. I may even venture to say that his mouse movements do not even sync with the shown display.

I think that he is looking at a different screen. His whole body is oriented in a rather awkward fashion to be playing the game that successfully, especially when you look at how lazy his mouse movements are. I may even venture to say that his mouse movements do not even sync with the shown display.

The prototype he was showing only required minimal mouse movements and read the rest from the signals your brain generated while moving the mouse. It was too twitchy and tough to use so they changed the final product to use full physical mouse and only handle keyboard duties with the NIA. He's giving a demo to a crowd, and part of the input is determined by your facial muscles, so of course he's going to try and show what he's doing. There are numerous videos that were taken live at CES or whatever trade shows... Youtube and search for OCZ NIA...

Back