• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What to do...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clocker2

"What to do contest", here.

Check that the "plug and play" service is enabled and running.

Run>services.msc>scroll to "plug and play".

How would he be able to check services if he can't use a keyboard or mouse to type in or select the command?

My first thing to try after your description would be to use a livecd of windows XP as well as ubuntu and see if the problem persists.
My guess is that it will not be a problem with a live windows cd so I would remove the hard drive , backup anything I had on it that was important and the reload windows.

Can the computer boot into Windows safe mode? Do the mouse and/or keyboard work in safe mode?

Can you do a system restore to a previous time when the mouse and keyboard did work?

Did you try a real PS/2 keyboard and mouse, or USB-to-PS/2 converters? I ask this because I've often found that the USB-PS/2 converters won't work, particularly when installing/reinstalling Windows...I'll need to use a real PS/2 input device for it to even work at all.

I just had my wifes USB controler burn out.

Replace mobo.
Alls fine now that I got a working mobo (3 week horror story)

Three weeks is rough, dude. I've had my comp never get past post because I had too many usb devices connected, drawing too much power.
Time to invest in a powered USB hub?

Back