• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm a noob and I think these readings are whack. Not sure.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pringles

Registered
Why are my CPU temps so high? Should I be worried?

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum thought maybe I could get some help here,

I reinstalled my scythe ninja like 3 times with bolt thru kit and these are the readings I get.

Speedfan seems to be reading the wierdest.

Last edited:
I can read it.

What exactly do you think is whack? I see one temp (AUX) that says over 100c, is that what you mean?

Other than that your temps do seem a little high. How long does it stay stable for on Orthos-Blend?

It looks like your reaching your max temp for that chip on full load. What TIM (thermal paste) are you using? And do you have the CPU fan on 100%, or is it temp. controlled?

Any and all info on your part is a great way to get better help here.

And as always, :welcome:!

Oh, BTW. You seem to be getting good speeds on less than 1.3v! If you get this temp thing fixed you could definately go to 4ghz. What batch number do you have? It's on the bottom of the retail box, all the way at the bottom left. It will be like Q749A235 or something.

Yea that voltage was not stable... I'm running it at 1.32v it has been 12 hours orthos stable.
I'm using scythe ninja rev b with bolt thru kit from thermalright CPU fan 100%. AS5 thermal paste rice grain size in the middle. I made sure I mounted it perfectly. My heatsink feels a TINY bit warm not hot or anything. I do not know what batch number it is, cant find box.

Last edited:
Temps seem a little on the high side, what are you using for thermal paste? Did you use new paste each time you remounted? Did you clean the processor and heatsink between paste applications?

By the way: :welcome: to the forums!! :D

i applied a lot more paste than a rice grain. nearly 2 or 3 rice grains on my Thermalright Ultra 120X. try using more. might help :)

Arctic silver 5 paste. I cleaned both the heatsink and CPU with 90% alcohol and reapplied AS5 with a rice grain size. Bolt thru kit used to mount scythe ninja.

I noticed my heatsink is not very hot. But the motherboard heatsink feels like 70C... too hot to touch, I use p5k-e/p182case . Why does my motherboard get so hot?

i applied a lot more paste than a rice grain. nearly 2 or 3 rice grains on my Thermalright Ultra 120X. try using more. might help :)
More = bad, do you mean cooked or uncooked rice size? Pretty big difference :p

I noticed my heatsink is not very hot. But the motherboard heatsink feels like 70C... too hot to touch, I use p5k-e. Why does my motherboard get so hot?
If my processor was 70c, my heatsink will be very hot as will the air coming off of it. I don't think it is making good contact. Can you remove the heatsink and take a picture of the paste spread?

It is a serious pain in the arse to take out my heatsink, because that means I have to take out my motherboard, which basically means I have to take out everything.

I put a very small amount of thermal paste on. Size of a rice, much like the amount used for MX2 thermal paste. I thought It'd be the same amount for arctic silver 5...

But if you guys insist this is the problem. Okay I'm gonna do it again when I get home from work.
I'm hoping for like 10C+++ change in temperature. Doubting it.

Alright I reinstalled heatsink and this time applied thermal paste as described by AS5 official website and temps remained the same.

Is it possible that I just got a faulty heatsink that needs lapping? Should I be worried? Can I try to push my chip further?

Any response is appreciated THANKS!@

Forgive me if this post presents any ignorance, but I was under the impression that the E8400s had issues with reading correct temps.

Forgive me if this post presents any ignorance, but I was under the impression that the E8400s had issues with reading correct temps.
You are correct. This is because we do not know the TJMax of the processor.

Your distance to Tjmax is what really matters, and this is read accurately by both Core Temp and Real Temp. Given that you're peaking at ~35C away from Tjmax, I'd say you have nothing to worry about. Also, unless you're running some sort of distributed computing client, your CPU is not going to see those full load temps very often. Definitely not worth pursuing an RMA in my opinion.

Thanks for the response fellas.

I'll try to push the chip as much as I can with 1.36 VCORE.

Back