• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

can't install windows xp or vista?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ashura

I deleted the RAID array of my two raptors and the tried to reintsall Vista onto just one of the drives and I got an error message. I was a moron and didn't write down what it was, but it was something like "windows setup cannot load an internal error occurred." That was the 64bit version. Thinking it might just be something wrong with the DVD, I tried the 32bit version and I at least got to the point where you select the HD and the install starts, but I got a different error message! Something like "windows deployment something something failed to start." I then tried to install using a Windows XP CD, and then got stopped during the install process with the line "setup cannot install file: kodac_dc.icm."

Worried the problem might be the Raptor (doubly worried as I'm selling it in the classies, a thread that I just put on hold for this problem), I popped it into another Windows XP PC in the house... and it saw it just fine. I was able to copy and paste big files, and fill it to the brim w/ 0 problems.

I've had these Raptors since the end of 2006 and I've reinstalled Windows, both XP and Vista, multiple times, and I have no idea the problem is.

Any ideas?:confused:

I had this happen when one of my raptors failed. I had to enter the raid utility in the bios and remove the drive from the array. I hope that is the problem good luck!

I had this happen when one of my raptors failed. I had to enter the raid utility in the bios and remove the drive from the array. I hope that is the problem good luck!

Thanks for the quick response.

So you think both my Raptors failed after I destroyed the RAID array? Can that be true even though I was able to use them just fine as single drives in another PC? Is there any way to verify the status of the Raptor?

I had this happen due to my raptors just not being compatible with my chipset. The intel ICH has some problems with raptors that SOME people notice. I switched my perfectly good raptors to seagate 250 perps and have not had a problem with my raid since.

Try the latest intel drivers for the ICH and see if they get your further.

I had this happen due to my raptors just not being compatible with my chipset. The intel ICH has some problems with raptors that SOME people notice. I switched my perfectly good raptors to seagate 250 perps and have not had a problem with my raid since.

Try the latest intel drivers for the ICH and see if they get your further.

That's the strange thing, I've had these Raptors on this board for the past 3 months with no compatibility problems.

And, even I got the latest drivers, I wouldn't have a chance to use them. I'm not putting the Raptors in RAID, just trying to install Windows on one of them.

alright this may be a no brainer and i will probably look dumb for even saying it but have you tried booting from CD and running the repair so you can run CHKDSK /F on the drive? i would do that first, then right after running chkdsk run fixmbr... just a suggestion... the reason i say this because i THINK the master boot record is only on 1 of the drives and this might add the new MBR to the disk... i dunno too much about RAID so like i said just a suggestion

alright this may be a no brainer and i will probably look dumb for even saying it but have you tried booting from CD and running the repair so you can run CHKDSK /F on the drive? i would do that first, then right after running chkdsk run fixmbr... just a suggestion... the reason i say this because i THINK the master boot record is only on 1 of the drives and this might add the new MBR to the disk... i dunno too much about RAID so like i said just a suggestion

You need to reset your disk.

Run the repair console from the boot CD.

At the command prompt type:

fixmbr = resets the drive boot information

fixboot = fixes the partitions

fdisk = to make sure the partitions are the right size

chkdsk /r = check the drive for surface errors to be sure its ok

Do what Orion said, it might help, i was deffinately missing some steps, thanks for the clarification Orion :)

I had this exact problem once... same error... with Raptors. It was a bad stick of memory.

You need to reset your disk.

Run the repair console from the boot CD.

At the command prompt type:

fixmbr = resets the drive boot information

fixboot = fixes the partitions

fdisk = to make sure the partitions are the right size

chkdsk /r = check the drive for surface errors to be sure its ok

Well, I did fixmbr but fixboot fdisk didn't apply since the drives had no parititions. Still had the same problem, except this time the XP setup stopped because it couldn't load cinemst2.sys. Am I missing something?

Write the drives to zeros with the WD diagnostics them repartition in Windows setup.

Wrote the drives to zeroes, and also ran the extended test with no errors. Still can't install XP or Vista. :bang head

How about trying a different optical drive? Maybe it has a laser going bad in it or something?

How about trying a different optical drive? Maybe it has a laser going bad in it or something?

Good call, I'll try that out tonight.

If it doesn't work though, and we can't think of anything else, I'm sending these guy out via warranty Monday. :-/

Well, I did fixmbr but fixboot fdisk didn't apply since the drives had no parititions.

If you don't have a partition, you have to make one using fdisk !

Then you can run chkdsk /r to be the sectors on the disk are readable. If you have faulty sectors then data might not be written properly, causing windows to fail later when it looks for that data.

I would set the processor back to stock and check the rails.

Setting the processor to stock was one of the first things I did. Not sure what you mean by check the rails though...?

If you don't have a partition, you have to make one using fdisk !

Then you can run chkdsk /r to be the sectors on the disk are readable. If you have faulty sectors then data might not be written properly, causing windows to fail later when it looks for that data.

Gotcha. Went back in, created a partition and ran chkdsk /r, and got 'the drive has irreparable errors' (not an exact quote, but something along those lines).

Guess there's nothing left to do but RMA?

(what I don't get is why, if the drive is damaged, it passed the WD Diagnostics test :confused:)

created a partition and ran chkdsk /r, and got 'the drive has irreparable errors' (not an exact quote, but something along those lines).

Guess there's nothing left to do but RMA?

(what I don't get is why, if the drive is damaged, it passed the WD Diagnostics test :confused:)

That is weird. I would get the exact quote and include it with the RMA. Contact WD and see what they say.

Did you try the other drive? Same result?

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply, took me a little while to get results... but I almost wish I didn't get them. I tried to install Windows on another PC and it worked fine! Which means the problem must actually be my motherboard which is a far worse scenario as I have a new HD coming in tomorrow, but according to Gigabyte's website turnaround time for a RMA is 2-3 weeks!! :( (I wish evga made non-intel boards, I bought my last board from them and their RMA service is the best I've ever experienced)

Thanks to everyone who tried to help out with this goose chase.

Back