• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rear fan in Antec 900 exhaust or intake?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gozma

in my case i should have 4 fans plus the top exhaust. 2 120mm front fans as intake, 1 120mm side fan as intake, and of couse the 200mm fan up top as exhaust. M question is should i use that upper rear 120mm fan as exhaust or is the 200mm more then enough and i should have another intake?

thanks for the input, my next question is since ill be using a Vendetta 2 heatsink and fan, which way should i have that fan blowing? my guess is either straight up toward top exhaust fan or toward the back exhaust fan.

heat naturally rises, but i had my nv120 pointing towards the exhaust and it worked fine. i guess test and see what you like and what works the best.

+1 for exaust

Use a 120mm on the door for another intake.

If you want another exaust, you can zip tie an 80mm fan to the backplates of the PCI slots. It made a decent difference for me. Looks kind of ****ty, but the airflow is rediculous.

Another possibility is to cut the plastic on the door big enough for another 120mm intake to blow on the ram / chipset. I used that fan attachment thingy thats for the front intake to make a mount.

Exhaust for sure.

You can have your HS pointing either up or sideways, I usually had it pointing at the exhaust fan. A Zalman 9700 lines up perfectly.

Yeah +1 exhaust. (For TriCool fans the air is blowing in the direction of the fan's grill)

As for the HS+Fan I suggest pointing it towards the the back panel exhaust as it will maximize the outtake of air by taking advantage of both exhausts. (120mm + 200mm). And may I recommend you to orient the fan on the heatsink as an intake.

e.g:
------------Exhaust (200mm)
---------------- ^
-----------------^
<---Exhaust (120mm)<---HS--HSFan<---

Sorry for the lame pic, it's the best I could do, hope it helps you though.

Good Luck.

hey i understand exactly what u mwan so it cant be too lame. thanks for the advice. i look forward to seting it up. should be ordered in a week or so

Well I won't tell you it's an exhaust, it's been said. I pointed my TRU120E to exhaust through the top fan. It allowed me better access to my RAM. Also, depending on the HS you are using, TRU120E in particular, mounting this way will allow you clearance for a side fan. I don't run a side fan, and I WC now, but I have quite a bit of experience with the airflow in this case and that's what worked for me when I air cooled.
Check it out:

If you are running a single GFX , you can install another fan to act as an exhaust for the bottom intake like shiggity said. With an 8800 GTX(or prob GTS) a 92mm fan wedges perfectly under there. It just cuts down on the stagnant warm air factor. And it doesn't have to look bad.
Check it out:
img0493qb0.jpg

Last edited:
Cool buddy, I hope everything goes smoothly...I have a love hate thing with my Antec Nine Hundred.

Overall I guess I like it, but it's given me a fair bit of grief but still it's a pretty solid case.

Hmm, I just looked at the dimensions of the Vendetta 2 and it's listed as having a 159mm height. This might be a little tricky to install using my suggested orientation so you might have to turn it so that the 'face' of the HS is facing the 200mm exhaust and the HSFan should be blowing/facing towards the 200mm exhaust too.

E.g:

------200mm Exhaust------
-------------^------------
-------***********------
-------***********------
-----------HSFan----------
-------------^------------

I'm saying this because this is exactly the problem I had with the TRUE 120 (Thermalright ultra 120 eXtreme) whose height is 160.5mm and did not fit in the conventional way (Facing the back panel exhaust)....I learnt it the hard way.

Edit: Just read Baditude_df's post and I back it up too. +1.

i decided on the Tuniq tower over the vendetta, but ill aim for pointing it straight back but adjust according to fitting in the case

What did you use for the grommets over the holes you used for your wire management on the smaller pic?

i love antec cases, and its exhaust, use the tissue test, see if the fan blow it away or sucks it in, or blow bubbles and watch the fans eat/ blow them away, thats another way to test general airflow around your case

Back