• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can i see a fps gain...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
new cpu and mobo will help alot, so will ram and vid card. I would sugest ip35-e, 9600gt(if you can get the extra money), gskill ddr2800 2gig kit, then the best c2d you can get with left over cash, if any. you also need to be sure you have a nice solid psu like the corsair vx 550. you could get up over 2 to 3 times the power, and if you oc you will get good fps in everything exept crysis.
edit: e7200 and ds3l with 2 gigs of ddr2 800 gskill is $266, $400 with 9600gt.

Last edited:
new cpu and mobo will help alot, so will ram and vid card. I would sugest ip35-e, 9600gt(if you can get the extra money), gskill ddr2800 2gig kit, then the best c2d you can get with left over cash, if any. you also need to be sure you have a nice solid psu like the corsair vx 550. you could get up over 2 to 3 times the power, and if you oc you will get good fps in everything exept crysis.
edit: e7200 and ds3l with 2 gigs of ddr2 800 gskill is $266, $400 with 9600gt.

i got the vx550 :D i seen a lot of people talking about it here and picked it up. :D

I cant believe you sold the 8800GT. If you would have waited and upgraded the cpu and mobo while keeping the GT, it would smoke your 7600 and it is STILL better than the 9600GT. I dont think that was a good move especially if you sold it for "dirt cheap".

Not only that but there must've been something else holding you back, a dual core 4400+ @ 2.6ghz is not going to be a major bottleneck in most games unless you playing at 1024x768 res or lower, even then it would be pretty high cause its such a low res.

CPU is not the major factor in most PC gaming situations, my guess would be drivers maybe as the cause of your no percievable gain in FPS.

I agree with Blazed. You should have seen a huge jump in performance with the 8800. If you didn't see any increase, it certainly wasn't due to any bottleneck by your processor. Your culprit lies elsewhere.

i have the 175.16 drivers...

i think its my cheap motherboard. not sure though, or my ram?

i reinstall windows every month. and this install is a week old lol. its just a habit i have...:bang head

You should have had big a big jump in FPS...maybe you didn't up your settings or something or the games you are playing are playing aren't intense enough to be limited by the 7600.

I upgraded from a 3600+ to the E8400 and I'm real happy...do it.

You should have had big a big jump in FPS...maybe you didn't up your settings or something or the games you are playing are playing aren't intense enough to be limited by the 7600.

I upgraded from a 3600+ to the E8400 and I'm real happy...do it.

how much of a notice did you see between the two cpu's. all i play is bf2 and sometimes cod4. my 8800gt and cod4 were great but dropped fps at times. like my 7600gt. i think im gonna go with a 8800gts or gt and get some ram. but then again, this mobo and cpu suck...

What resolution do you use? Did you try more then 1 driver version? Performance can be all over the place with different driver versions, kind of hit and miss sometimes.

What resolution do you use? Did you try more then 1 driver version? Performance can be all over the place with different driver versions, kind of hit and miss sometimes.

i believe i only used the 175.16 drivers. and i used both 1680x1050 and 1280x1024. i also forgot to mention, i downloaded that free half life game when you update drivers. and maxed everything out to the extreme in the game, and i got a lousy 80 fps in the stress tesy. is that normal?

My E8400 is way faster. But I also jumped from a X2 3600+ @ 2.5 with a 32mb ATI X300 to a E8400 @ 4.0 with a 512mb 8800GT.

Huge difference.

Back