• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommendations on headsets?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slayn

Anyone recommend a headset? I am using it for gaming with a mic/etc. Its going on a 750i i am putting together so I dont know if the onboard audio on that thing is really good or not or if I should just go for USB. So far I have never seen a good USB headset but I dunno. I am willing to pay just nothing outrageous. I am probably not going to pay $100. Also has to be a long cord I am going to sit back a few feet because I am gaming on a 37" LCD.

Avoid USB headsets. They bypass your soundcard and place a burden on your CPU. If you can deal with it the best way to go is a lapel mic (u can find them for about $10 US online) and a quality set of headphones. Personal choice is the winner here. Take a CD (original, no mp3 ripped to a disc) and go to stores and listen. Find a brand you like and go to their online store and go a model higher in the product group (retail chains always buy the cheapest model). I personally like the Koss branded earphones. The PortaPros have always been a fav and deliver great sound along with a lifetime warranty.

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf/p?openform&pc^pt^PORTAPRO

As for your distance problem you can always pick up some extentions from your local RadioShack or electronics store. Any wireless device you use to move the sound is going to compress it.

Ok any other suggestions? I am starting to do VOIP for work so I am looking for a headset that will sound decent but I also have 7.1 audio so a 7.1 or 5.1 surround sound headset would be a decent investment, but I will not pay over $100 for one.

Back