• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

APC PDU and Powering on a pc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ppe1700

hey all!!
i have aquired an APC PDU. for those that dont know what these are as im sure some wont, this is basically a 8-gang plug socket that is reachable on the network. once you are at its web based interface, you can then switch on or off any of the 8 plug sockets however you wish. this is good for remote power cycling of servers for example when their windows OS has completely hung beyond the point of using rdp or anything else to restart them,

**now, what i want to do is rig my pc up so that it can be in its shutdown state, but the minute i switch on its socket it fires up.**

i want to do this over the internet, dont worry i can figure this out.
i want to do this because i cannot use Wake On Lan. im not quite sure why its not working for me, i think its my netgear router not forwarding the packet correctly from the net. not to worry,

now, is there a way that i can rig the power button so that as soon as the socket is switched on, that is to say as soon as the ATX power supply has power, then the pc will power up.

someone suggested bluetacking the power button in. i dont know if this would work..
my bios has a setting to immediately turn on if there is a power restore after a power cut. this is good but i will always be shutting down propperly since i use windows.

any ideas ?
thanks in advance! :)

sorry if this is in the wrong section, im thinking its a power supply topic so ive posted it here.

ok ive been asking the server guys, and the solution is to put the bios to start after power cut. then even if you had shut windows down, if you turn the socket off and then back on again it will start up the pc even though it was shutdown.

apparently different bios's have differnet settings;
there is OFF or DISABLED where it does nothing at all,
there is REMEMBER LAST, or REMEMBER PREVIOUS where when the power comes back it goes to its last state, if it was on then the pc comes back on, if it was off already then it stays off.
then there is ON or ENABLED where as soon as the power comes back or the power is cycled then it boots up the pc

i tried and tested this last night. if you correctly set the bios it works.
the way to test if your pc will do the same, is shut down the pc, once its shut down, switch off the socket that your pc is plugged into, or pull the power cord out the back. wait for about 30 -40 seconds then plug it back in or switch the power back on and your pc will boot up :D
cant wait to get the special ups style cables so i can wire up the APC.
then when i go away on holiday in 10 days, i can load up my pc and check on the house via the webcams :D cool beans

Back