• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What would you do with vraptor?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CGR

I just reformatted and built my new machine little over a week ago.

Currently it has a 74gb raptor as its os/app drive and a 250gb Seagate as its game drive.

My Velociraptor will be here today and am not sure how I should set it up.

I do have an image of my current OS installation, so I could restore that on the vraptor, then make the rest of the space for games/apps.

or

I could install the vraptor as a second drive just for games/apps and leave my current installation like it is for now.

What do you think?

Clean install and I would use the VRaptor for your OS/Apps/Games. Use the other drives for storage and backup.

Well, I wouldnt do a clean install per se, I would just restore the image I made after the clean install last week. Otherwise I would have to activate XP again, and when you have activations close together they make you call them.

In any event, the image was of the clean install I did last week, so should be fine, dont you think?

Well, I wouldnt do a clean install per se, I would just restore the image I made after the clean install last week. Otherwise I would have to activate XP again, and when you have activations close together they make you call them.

In any event, the image was of the clean install I did last week, so should be fine, dont you think?

Either would work fine, but a clean install is always an option and typically works the first time. :beer:

id get another one and run em in matrix raid :) one raid0 slice for windows, and one raid0 slice for my game files, its how i have my current raptors, it works great! :beer:

Either would work fine, but a clean install is always an option and typically works the first time. :beer:

If I didnt just do a clean install a week ago, I would do it now. Just not worth the headache to call Microsoft. I have been living in the "grey area" so to speak for several years now :)

The only things that have been installed in the last week, are benching software and AOC, so the drive is very clean.

The only issue will be how windows reacts to the drive. I have restored an image to another 74gb raptor, but this is a completely different model.

Last edited:
A lot quieter than my 74gb thats for sure. I did notice a feint high pitch whine, but not sure it was from the drive. Will have to check tonight.

As for temps, HDtune says its at 30c, the 74gb was at 28. I have a 120mm intake blowing over them. They are cool to the touch.

Dam those velociraptor give some nice speeds .. Post up a pic of the actual drive .. Also, how quiet? How warm? Annoying seek clicks and vibrations?? .. Hell if you could post up a review of your velociraptor that'd be good :)

Here you go..

DSCN2401.jpg

DSCN2400.jpg

A lot quieter than my 74gb thats for sure. I did notice a feint high pitch whine, but not sure it was from the drive. Will have to check tonight.

As for temps, HDtune says its at 30c, the 74gb was at 28. I have a 120mm intake blowing over them. They are cool to the touch.

Is it quieter than a standard el-cheapo 7200rpm drive though? If not, how close?

Is it quieter than a standard el-cheapo 7200rpm drive though? If not, how close?

As far as I can tell its dead quiet. If it is making noise its same or less than my 7200 seagate, which I can barely hear when read/writing.

I will do some tests tonight though to get a better idea of its noise.

Edit: It is barely audible

Last edited:
Back