• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oldskool K7S5A-ers, 2x256 SDRAM @133 stability tricks???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RoadWarrior

Hi folks,

Trying to put an extra 256Mb SDRAM in a K7S5A, and it turned into a flaky crashy POS, (Some might say it was already but WE) So was there any tricks for getting 2 sticks of SDRAM to play nice at 133. Got it at 124/124 for now (cheepobios) and it doesn't seem so bad, made it through 3DMark2K1.

So anyone remember anything, BIOS settings? anything?

Thanks,

Road Warrior

Wow, been a long time since I played with one of those, but I found them to be one of the most stable boards around, at stock speeds. Not much in the way of overclocking, but very stable in general. Maybe try to loosen the timings a bit ?

EDIT:

WTF Between the time I linked the troubleshooting page and right now, the link died. :bang head:

Anyway, one possibility is that the chipset gets too hot. Apparently the HS for the chipset is attached w/ crappy thermal tape. Might be worth cleaning that off and getting some real TIM in there.

Ah that might make sense, if it has to do the i/o at 3.3 for SD instead of 2.5 volts for DDR which is meant to be much more stable. I am seeing it at 33C or so in setup after a crash/reboot, so mebbe I'll stick a better sink on it with some AS. Voltages look stable, got sparkle PSU and sinked mosfets.

Back