• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Q6600 overclocker having issues with over 3.0GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spikerules

Registered
Hello all!
I have recently built a new machine which is as follows: -

Asus Striker II Extreme (RMA'd due to stock NB waterblock leak)

Thermaltake VD500LBNA Sword M Aluminium Full Tower Case - watercooled vers.

D-tek Fuzion V2 CPU Waterblock

Q6600 G0 Revision with VID of 1.325

2x74GB WD 10000rpm Raptors

OCZ 4GB DDR3 PC3-10666C6 1333MHz ReaperX (2x2GB) Dual Channel

Nvidia 8800GTX 756MB

Thermaltake ToughPower 1200W Modular Power Supply

Unfortunatly, I havent had the best time with the build and defo not been happy with my overclocking, seeing as though I have watercooled the chip and it runs at 25-30c idle depending on clock speed.

I can get to just under 3.0 with ease, but anything over that and my system crashes. If I raise the CPU voltage to 1.5v+ I can get a stable idle load of 3.6GHz into XP, until I start Prime95 and then after 5mins my system resets. Core Temp is saying my CPU is at 51c FULL load t 3.6GHz under Prime95 with 4 cores being stress tested. Each core 51c and below with the highest being 51 and lowest around 45c.

The reason why I want to reach 3.6 is that I can get 14500+ on 3DMark06 on 3.6 (when I got a full bench out of one try - until crash) and only 13677 at 3.0GHz. With a system that cost me so much to build, I was expecting a little better. Crysis is unplayable at 1920x1080 with Very High settings with the Crysis XP mod.

I guess I need a little help from the experts here as I am quite new to this. I dont think my CPU is at fault (even with a VID of 1.325) as it runs quite cool under my watercooling setup. I believe my mobo NB and SB are running way too hot at around 70c+ on full load. Is it worth getting a new mobo with Intel chipset (the foxconn blackops) or a new CPU? Or keep both and go the SLI GX2 route?

9x 400fsb with CPUv @ 1.53v gets me 3.6GHz until stress test - memory running stable at 1600MHz all the time. Bios Vers. 705 if i remember correctly. Everything else at default. Disabled CIE and speedstep.

Thanks in advance
Spike

Last edited:
list all your specs... ie bios settings and complete hardware to get a good answer to your question. as your q6600 should be able to hit 3.6 easy under water cooling.

list all your specs... ie bios settings and complete hardware to get a good answer to your question. as your q6600 should be able to hit 3.6 easy under water cooling.

sorry I have updated at the bottom of my original post. Thanks! BTW shouldnt you be able to get more out of your Q6600 even on air with a VID of 1.2250???

Cheers Elluzion,
I guess I kinda need a better CPU with a lower VID rating then. What settings do you use for 3.3GHz and what does your CPU temp run at? Anyone know where to get a good Q6600 VID CPU or is it purley luck of the draw?

Cheers Elluzion,
I guess I kinda need a better CPU with a lower VID rating then. What settings do you use for 3.3GHz and what does your CPU temp run at? Anyone know where to get a good Q6600 VID CPU or is it purley luck of the draw?

yeah its hard. I didn't even know what a VID was until i got a 1.35 and ****t.... for 3.3 i use 366 x 9 multi. My temps were pretty bad, hitting like 60 running prime. I am going to a the Vdrop mod on my motherboard and it will allow me to use less voltage. In the bios it wouldn't even let me set the bios to the right voltage, i needed more than 1.6v in the bios! crazy. well i am re-doing my watercooling the right way right now and I will see what happens.

The only way you can get a LOw VID processor is if you buy it from someone and already know the VID. thats about it. Its RANDOM.. good luck!

yeah its hard. I didn't even know what a VID was until i got a 1.35 and ****t.... for 3.3 i use 366 x 9 multi. My temps were pretty bad, hitting like 60 running prime. I am going to a the Vdrop mod on my motherboard and it will allow me to use less voltage. In the bios it wouldn't even let me set the bios to the right voltage, i needed more than 1.6v in the bios! crazy. well i am re-doing my watercooling the right way right now and I will see what happens.

The only way you can get a LOw VID processor is if you buy it from someone and already know the VID. thats about it. Its RANDOM.. good luck!

Cheers Elluzion,
I dont get that high a temp on my CPU but I guess 51c is still quite hot for watercooling... It's a real pain because I didnt even know about VID until I started checking out why I couldnt go above 3.0GHz stable! Also, are you saying that you are running at 3.3GHz @ 1.6v :eek:

however with watercooling you should be able to volt it high enough to hit 3.6

What would you say a high, safe and stable voltage is with watercooling? I see you have 3.6GHz with only 1.382v... whats your VID.. I would guess pretty darn low?

You are upping your FSB by a fairly significant amount. I would say right around where you currently are at ~3GHZ might be when your FSB voltages need a step or two up. Have you tried that? I'm not saying that will be the fix all, but it could help things along nicely.
Eg: On a 680i chipset my current stable voltages are. Vcore: 1.37, MCP 1.625, SPP Max, HT 1.5. I'll be playing with those a bit to find the lowest possible voltages, but this works for now, and temps aren't too high. This gives me 24hrs prime stable 3.6GHz on my Q6600. If I notch down a couple on each of those, I will be everyday stable and game stable, but folding and priming fail about a few hours in or so. Your NB and SB temps seem high, what program are you using to monitor those. Mine stay under 50 at all times. I'm using the latest version of Everest.

Edit: btw I just ran 3DMark06 and this was the result with a stock 8800GTX,quad @ 3.6 and 4GB of 1066 RAM.
3dmark0636ghzri9.png

Def. not 14500. But I haven't touched the GFX frequencies yet.

Last edited:
You are upping your FSB by a fairly significant amount. I would say right around where you currently are at ~3GHZ is about when your FSB voltages need a step or two up. Have you done that?
Eg: On a 680i chipset my current stable voltages are. Vcore: 1.37, MCP 1.625, SPP Max, HT 1.5
This gives me 24hrs prime stable 3.6GHz on my Q6600. If I notch down a couple on each of those, I will be everyday stable and game stable, but folding and priming fail about a few hours in or so.
Your NB and SB temps seem high, what program are you using to monitor those. Mine stay under 50 at all times. I'm using the latest version of Everest.

I have to go into the bios and see the temps for NB and SB. I go strait into the bios after the crash and the temp is round 70c and above sometimes. And I have only upped the CPU voltage, not anything else. As I am new to this can you please explain what the other voltages are for? Also, what is your CPU VID?

UPDATE: Hmm your results seems to be a little low... are they at default settings? You have a faster system so I would expect you to get a better score? I do have memory running at 1600MHz though, so that might be why I'm a little better off. We have the same make of GPU too (BFG), mine is also at stock:)

Last edited:
Well first off, go into windows while you have a stable overclock and have a look at the chipset temperatures. Like I said, I use Everest and it seems to be pretty darned accurate for all temperatures. The latest version of everest should allow you to see your SB (MCP) and NB (SPP) temps. See what they are on your OS, as opposed to your BIOS.

When you overclock your CPU, you are also overclocking the FSB. It stands to reason that the chips that are controlling your system bus would need a bit of a boost as well. The voltages in my bios are listed as SB, NB and HT voltages, HT being the HyperTransport between the NB and SB. It doesn't hurt anything to bump them all up a notch or two to see if it helps you get over the 3GHz hump. In fact at one point or another, you are going to need to do it. That being said, you must have adequate cooling on both NB and SB to overvolt them anymore than that on a regular basis as they get extremely hot. I decided to WC my NB and put an enzotech HS with 8000rpm fan on my SB. Like I said, I run Sub 50's. My chipset and CPU get AS Ceramique TIM, it works like a charm.

The CPU VID is basically the stock VCore that is required for the CPU to function out of the box. It varies from chip to chip. When your Mobo is set to default values in BIOS (Auto) the CPU will tell your Mobo that this is the Voltage I need to operate at stock speed, gimme the juice. Theoretically, the lower the VID, the better the overclocker, because you're starting off from stock 2.4 at a lower operating voltage and therefore lower temp. You can't change the VID unless you buy a new chip. I noticed your VID is quite high, where did you get 1.325 from?

And yes, 3DMark is all at default.

Last edited:
Well first off, go into windows while you have a stable overclock and have a look at the chipset temperatures. Like I said, I use Everest and it seems to be pretty darned accurate for all temperatures. The latest version of everest should allow you to see your SB (MCP) and NB (SPP) temps. See what they are on your OS, as opposed to your BIOS.

When you overclock your CPU, you are also overclocking the FSB. It stands to reason that the chips that are controlling your system bus would need a bit of a boost as well. The voltages in my bios are listed as SB, NB and HT voltages, HT being the HyperTransport between the NB and SB. It doesn't hurt anything to bump them all up a notch or two to see if it helps you get over the 3GHz hump. In fact at one point or another, you are going to need to do it. That being said, you must have adequate cooling on both NB and SB to overvolt them anymore than that on a regular basis as they get extremely hot. I decided to WC my NB and put an enzotech HS with 8000rpm fan on my SB. Like I said, I run Sub 50's. My chipset and CPU get AS Ceramique TIM, it works like a charm.

The CPU VID is basically the stock VCore that is required for the CPU to function out of the box. It varies from chip to chip. When your Mobo is set to default values in BIOS (Auto) the CPU will tell your Mobo that this is the Voltage I need to operate at stock speed, gimme the juice. Theoretically, the lower the VID, the better the overclocker, because you're starting off from stock 2.4 at a lower operating voltage and therefore lower temp. You can't change the VID unless you buy a new chip. I noticed your VID is quite high, where did you get 1.325 from?

And yes, 3DMark is all at default.

I bought n OEM Q6600 from overclockers.co.uk. Not too happy about the high VID rating to be honest. Whats yours?

I'll bet you can get that thing up to at least 3.2 though. Cooling is the main factor. You can give it the juice all you want if you can dissipate the heat effectively.

Cheers Elluzion,
I dont get that high a temp on my CPU but I guess 51c is still quite hot for watercooling... It's a real pain because I didnt even know about VID until I started checking out why I couldnt go above 3.0GHz stable! Also, are you saying that you are running at 3.3GHz @ 1.6v :eek:

1.6v in bios, i don't know what it was in CPU-z, i never checked.

This is your problem: "Everything else at default".

When I say default, I mean auto... I would have thought the votage is automatically amped up with the FSB speed? Am I wrong?

At the moment I am stable with prime95 at 1.6v bios CPU voltage... CPU-Z core voltage is 1.504v and my cpu is reaching 54-60c on full load, which is extremely hot for watercooling, am I right?

One thing I'd like to mention, but I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure your VID is not what it says on the outside of your CPU box. I just looked at mine and all it says is MAX 1.35V.

I'm pretty sure VID refers to what the CPU runs at on stock.

For instance, I have mine tuned down for summer, but here's what mine looks like.

3108GHz.jpg

1.216 volts with a 700Mhz overclock.

Honestly, every problem I've ever had with overclocking my Q6600 had to do with my RAM timings/voltage. I'd try loosening up your timings and/or pumping some more voltage into them and see what happens then.

sorry I have updated at the bottom of my original post. Thanks! BTW shouldnt you be able to get more out of your Q6600 even on air with a VID of 1.2250???

I can get much more out of it...... damn temps..... i can get 3.6 but load temps are right at 72-76c. i even hit 4ghz for a very short time:attn:

The Q6600 isn't as good as I thought... Glad I got the Q9450 I am having no problem running it at 3.6Ghz with 1.3Vcore and got 18500 3dmarks :p

Back