• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a newbie out

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wackymojo

I'm looking to fully water cool my system and since it is my first endeavor into this area I would appreciate any help that I can get. First here is my system specs as it currently stands.

Motherboard: EVGA 780i
CPU: Q6700
Video Cards: 2xEVGA 8800 GTS (640MB) (SLI of course)
RAM: 4x1GB DDR2 FLEX XLC 6400
HDD: 2xWD Caviar 500GB SATA-300

I am looking to water cool my CPU, North Bridge, South Bridge, Voltage Reg, GPU, RAM, and HDD (my whole machine as a matter of fact).

My first question is that since there are soooo many different blocks out there what do you all recommend? I was leaning towards Koolance products just because they have a nice website where I put in my system and it lists the blocks for each component which for a newbie is very handy.

I'm curious as to the number and type of radiators I should be using. Also, since I am looking at cooling so much stuff, I was thinking of using at least 2 loops, plus the 2 different colors sounds like fun.

Also any ideas of a good case to use? I don't mind cutting up my case (although I've never done case mods before). I was leaning towards a Cooler Master RC-1100 Cosmos S. The only hitch I have is that I want to keep all my cooling internal or attached to the case. So please no stand alone rads or cooling systems.

Finally any other comments or suggestions you can offer would be great.

Thanks in advance for you help, time and advise.

I've got a fairly flexible budget to work with, not unlimited but within reason.

You seriously dont need to water cool most of those things, trust me. Unless you have voltmodded your gpu's they dont really need water. Hard drives? Waste of money. Ram? Active air will do just fine. Cpu, h20-220 kit is great. Northbridge, you can put a better air fan on it, or you can get a water block. Southbridge is fine on air. Check out my sig and the cool clocks I get. Its all air except the cpu which is water. ;)

hard drives operate at warmer temps better and longer, a good low cfm 120 will keep those fine like pimp said. Northbridge is debatible, air is fine, water is fine, personal and pocket choice. Southbridge is only needed with air, fetts air unless voltmodded. Ram wise, people get the same clocks with air or water, if you want both options OCZ flex ii is the way to go (although only comes as 2gig sticks and can only fit 2 in board, things are massive). Graphics air will do, but if you want silence water, those 8800's are heat beasts.

I know it's a bit excessive guys, but since this is my first LC'd rig and I kinda wanted to go BIG with it and LC as much as possible. I can pass on the HDD though, definitely if air is better.

Also there is a bit of ascetics involved. I like the tube look, even more when u thrown in some UV coolant and lights :attn:

saxile - I looked into the OCZ flex ii tres pimp, but the only problem is that since I want to run 64-bit vista that I think I would be better served running 8gigs of ram. Although the flex ii'z are really tempting. Tough decision. Have to ponder on that one ;)

Last edited:
Here's an idea: 2 separate loops. One that does CPU and GPU cooling and another that is nothing more than an endless liquid filled tube just for looks. it would give your case a full look while the real WC set works properly.

Im not sure why you would recommend not going with water on the GPU's
my 8800gts cards (320) are on water and I can OC them insanely high.
as I type this (and these clocks have been used for a month now) my core-650, shader-1550 and memory is 999 (1998 effective) and my temps are astounding at 40c/38c at idle, and Ive only seen them break 50c once when my wife turned the air off and didnt mention it... and that was only after a couple hours of insurgency and the ambient temps at 86f in my apt.

but I do agree there is no real reason to lc the HDD/memory.
the nbridge only if you plan on majorly OCing it, but sbridge would def be asthetic only.
mosfets as well do not need liquid, but it does look kind of cool seeing those tubes running from point to point.

check out this thread on SLizone forums, he made his own chipset blok for the 780 striker II.
and it truly is awesome. both in looks and function.
780 in cosmos S

although, IMHO he would have better served his purpose using a mountain mods case.

Back