• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ApproxTemps and real temps ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i686

hi'

I recently discover a small utility called real temp,
is it new?
core temp announce temps around 5°c above what real temp says, so who's right?

benching with orthos, my cpu temps were arond 60°c, with core temp, and around 54°c with real temp ...

and so far I never had to make it turn 100% with any prog ;)
even video encoding or decoding, same with sound ...

I guess that the only real way to know is to read bios temp after an hour of game and a quick reboot to take a look ;)
and it seems to me that what real temps does ...

any advice or comment welcome :)

i686

Best thing for temps is buy a thermister and bore a hole in ur IHS to seat it there. then ud get the right temps. but obv that isnt really an option.

There has been many a discussion about which is right and as far as i know there are now difinitive answers

Personally i use coretemp.

if you read the thread on xs about real temp you need to get the tjmax of your cpu manually

Coretemp and realtemp have different tjmax so temps vary.

I don't use coretemp becasue it shows idle temps for my cpu around 42c regardless if cpu is overclocked or not. Since coretemp can't guess idle temps right, I don't consider load temps right either.

It's not coretemp, It's because the CPU does not provide absolute temps, it shows the difference from tjmax (tjmax is said to be 100c, but it varies chip2chip)

I wouldn't trust the BIOS temps either...

And the CPU can cool down A LOT in the time it takes to re-boot.

If you take the time to calibrate RealTemp I think it's the best option right now.

Best rule of thumb is to just stay 30*C+ away from Tjmax.

Back