• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Files, Folders, Windows become courrupt...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

YourGreatestMem

Ok, Since i bourght and installed a new hard drive i have had problems with files/folders and windows directory becoming courrupt.

Code:
Hard Drive i knew worked 5 days ago..: Seagate ST3300831AS Barracuda 300GB 7200RPM SATA/150 8MB Cache - OEM

New Hard Drive: Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM

GFX Card:  PowerColor X550 Bravo Edition 256mb GDDR2 128bit PCI-E

Ram, i have 3 gig of it but memtest, memtest86+ and windows memory diagnostics shows it all to be fine.

Motherboard: Asus A8R-MVP Socket 939 Xpress 200 PCI-E SATA ATX Motherboard

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Socket 939 512Kb L2 Cache 90nm Retail Boxed Processor

The hard drives themself are fine to what i can see, i tested them with HD Tune and it says there 100% healthy

- There are no viruses/malware/trojans/adware or anything i have formatted my hard drive several times.

- I downloaded a file left it on desktop at first the size was 1.15mb and all of a sudden internet doesnt work, 80% of files/programs wont load and they all become stupidly small. My windows directory shrunk by 102mb

The operating system disk is fine, i have tried win xp home, pro and 3 custom versions...(slipstream ones)

I think the problem is in the motherboard/psu/gfx card/chipset but i dont know what it is and dont know how to test them area's

JamesXP might be able to fill you guys in with more information on what we have tried and stuff... he knows more than i do lol

How about a different sata cable? Also what do you have for a power supply?

@ CGR
- Yes, there are 2 red ports and 2 black, both red ports give same outcome.
- Black ports both give me an error instantly saying there is no master HDD.

@ Trap05
- Yes i have used a different sata cables.
- PSU = EzCool 600w

Ok, Update.

Problem still there, the pc last night managed to work for 3 hours, working perfectly fine and then all of a sudden it all became courrupt.

Please help, i am begging for help. Its getting right on my nerves

Have you checked CPU and Mem voltages did me in once >>>not corrupted...just not stable sys
try CPU z or super pi you may have other problem but are only looking at HD were you well grounded for static sometimes it is the little things that'll get ya
Vista is a mystery/misery, wife has it, I hate it. I have xp pro on brand new rig call me old fashioned

I'm going to guess that you are having memory issues. Have you tried running Memtest from a boot disk ? If you're sure the drives are good and data is getting corrupted, the memory is the most likely culprit.

J.

Back