• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is the word on these new processors?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OC101

Advanced Micro Devices Inc. rolled out a new package of chips for laptops Wednesday, a major overhaul of its mobile lineup the chip maker hopes will help it climb out of a deep financial trough.
ADVERTISEMENT

The Sunnyvale-based company, saddled with debt and hurt by product delays, is betting consumers will gravitate toward its new Turion brand processor and related chipset — part of a package that chip makers call a "platform" and sell together — because of their focus on high-definition video playback.

This new generation of Turion laptop chips will appear at launch in twice as many different computers — from Hewlett-Packard Co., Acer Inc., Toshiba Corp. and others — as the previous generation, released two years ago, AMD said.

Chip makers AMD, Intel Corp. and Nvidia Corp. are battling harder over high-end graphics as more people watch movies and television programs on their home computers and as operating systems and Web applications require better visuals.

To that end, AMD's new chips, which were unveiled at the Computex computer show in Taiwan, rely heavily on parts from ATI Technologies, a graphics chip supplier that AMD acquired for $5.6 billion in 2006 to help it challenge Nvidia and much larger Intel.

Intel is the world's No. 1 maker of microprocessors, the brains of personal computers. AMD is a distant No. 2, and with the acquisition of ATI now makes standalone graphics chips. Nvidia is the market leader in standalone graphics chips.

AMD hopes that by infusing its general-purpose chips with more advanced graphics capabilities it can boost their appeal and help the company increase its market share.

AMD has racked up more than $4 billion in losses over the last six quarters as Intel snatched away market share with newer parts and AMD struggled to digest the pricey ATI acquisition.

AMD's new Turion X2 Ultra Dual-Core mobile processors, which come in clock speeds up to 2.4 gigahertz, are accompanied by powerful new chipsets, a separate set of chips that do most of the graphics work — absent a standalone graphics chip — and control how the processor communicates with the rest of the computer.

AMD says its chipsets deliver three times better 3-D performance and five times better high-definition image quality than competing models because of the strength of its integrated graphics. AMD also says its chips transmit high-definition videos and photos faster over wireless networks.

source link
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080604...laptop_chip;_ylt=ApE9dKUS8JfoB9bOaGUjLFxj24cA

How much better are they in gaming compare to their ... old self at same clock speed? and compare to Intel chips?

Will this really help AMD? Since laptops are getting more popular.

You'd of thought they would come up with something better than re-vamped a K8 arch CPU maybe create a Turion X3 or something using the triple core K10-ish arc,

That external graphics platform is a good idea, but put mobile graphics cards in it instead of desktop GPU's, doesn't make sense to me.

I really don't see how a PUMA platform is going to succeed. Gamers will buy desktops with real GPU's and people buying laptops are going to all start buying those 400$ MSI winds / Asus EEE PC's. Puma's only hope is to establish that brand name really well through marketing, otherwise I really doubt it will be accepted. Plus why would you even buy a puma based laptop or cheap desktop when you could get a console, which I think is much better than all of these budget gaming platforms.

AMD is also sure to lose some of it's server market share back to Intel with the Nehalem architecture coming out and AMD lagging behind on all of their releases.

C'mon AMD get serious here, stop playing around :(

Neha-Shmeha, :p j/k

I know a few people that have loptops as their main because they are always going somewhere. Puma might be a good thing for them if they want to game at home but that is a good point, how many people will really want the platform. As we learn more about it we may see more reason. A lot of gaming is moving to the boxes so PCs are loosing that grip. It leaves business use. We use lappys in presentations a lot this may be one situation where the external GFX is setup in the conf. room and distribute a laptop to each department to dock when they have presentations. I wish I had one in 1999 when I had a booth setup with an HP Pavilion and monitor.

Hummmm , Interesting !
I'm probably about due for a new laptop , My 2000 powerbook is still running strong tho :)
( it has been running almost nonstop for 8 years now )
I'm still torn between a high power CPU wide screen lappy , and a low power ultra with Wifi to just link into my systems with.

BTW AC , Thanks for backing me up last week ! You Da Bestest Ever !

Back