• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Better CoD4 fps via driver update?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Well I'm stuck with a 7900GS for a while, I've found that the 93.71 driver does pretty good on the 7900 series. However, I mostly play CoD4...would updating to one of the latest drivers yield better performance in that game specifically?

It's possible. Every driver update either adds support for new cards or improves upon current performance on current/older gen cards. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any real documentation comparing old drivers to new ones showing specific increases in performance for certain games.

Keep in mind, it's also possible to affect your performance negatively...

If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your 8800GT?

It's possible. Every driver update either adds support for new cards or improves upon current performance on current/older gen cards. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be any real documentation comparing old drivers to new ones showing specific increases in performance for certain games.

Keep in mind, it's also possible to affect your performance negatively...

If you don't mind me asking, what happened to your 8800GT?

Oh...my sig is out-dated atm. I sold my rig for as much as I could...I don't game nearly as much as I used to, it was a bit overkill for what I played. The 500$ I made off of it after building my new rig is going towards bills & car.

Well I'm stuck with a 7900GS for a while, I've found that the 93.71 driver does pretty good on the 7900 series. However, I mostly play CoD4...would updating to one of the latest drivers yield better performance in that game specifically?

What operating system are you using? Forceware updates typically will include several fixes for modern games... you may want to see if the release notes of the patches to find out what would affect your game. :)

Back