• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

THE MOTHER OF ALL SCAMS! PLEASE READ!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hung

(I'll try and keep this short/sweet)
Once upon a time, there was a company called 3GPlaza.com that offered various deals w/ large, fairytale rebates attached to them. Last November, they offered a deal on a eVGA nForce 680i motherboard w/ a $100.00 rebate on it. An unsuspecting asian kid named Hung thought :eek:, "I'd be an idiot NOT to get this." So the order was submitted...

Within 2 weeks HUNG got his lil' mobo and fired up his new system. "Now that I got this wonderful, early :santa2: present for myself, I'm getting right to business and mailing in this MIR and not procrastinate about sending it in later like with all the other rebates :eek:."

Fast forward till 2 weeks later when the postmark date hits...
Hung, "Hello, 3G? How are y'all doing today? Isn't it a nice day? Anywhoooo, just calling in and seeing if you guys received my rebate okay dokay."
Claire, "Yes, sirrrrr! We received your rebate, sirrrr! Yes, sirrrr!:D"
Hung, "exxxxccceeellleeennnttt...well, have a great :santa:!"

It's cold throughout Christmas, but Hung's 680i keeps him warm. Ahh, computer generated heatttt. :eek:

Days turn into weeks, weeks turn into months as the "12-16 processing time" slowly sheds off. After which time, Hung finally calls back...
Hung, "3G? Yes, hi...uhm, just calling to check the status of my rebate."
Claire, "Yes, sirrr! Your rebate is still being processed so please wait an additional 3-4 weeks, sirrrr! please, sirrrr!"
Hung, ".....:confused: What do you mean wait 3-4 more week..!CLAIRE INTERUPTS, "Yes! please wait, we are still processing and checks will come soon! Yes! Please! Sirr, wait! Thank you!"

So Hung decides to wait because his faith and trust in 3G weighs over his wanting to @$#%ing yell at them. So he says, "no worries, I'm Mr. Patient, I'm the master of the waiting game:rolleyes:."

Now that another 4 weeks has passed Hung calls yet again to see what they say...
Hung, "OK, is this Claire? Yeah, today is not a nice day and it's only getting worse because I have to keep calling you guys and asking where my &%$#ing check is!"
Claire, "uh...sirrr, sorry, but We still haven't received your..!HUNG INTERUPTS, "LEMME SPEAK TO YOUR MANAGER!"
Jesse, "hii.."
Hung, "So what's going on, what BS excuse are you going to give me now that I haven't already gotten from Claire? It feels like I've waited all my life for this rebate to come back. I've been trying to cope with you guys and trying to make sense of this whole situation, but fact of the matter is...you guys are only in business to scam consumers, right?"
Jesse, "uh...sirr..we are getting checks now...yes..please wait.............2 week max and you will get your checkkkss, yes.."
Hung, "...:temper:,CLICK!"

1 week later...
Hung, ":mad:YEAH! IS THIS THE MANAGER? JESSE?! YEAH I'M CALLING TO LET YOU KNOW THAT I HAVEN'T RECEIVED !&%$ing @#$% FROM YOU GUYS AND NOW I'M DOING A CHARGEBACK CLAIM WITH MY CREDIT CARD COMPANY."
Jesse, "uhh...I'm not sure why you haven't received check, sirrrr...but...uhh...."
Hung, "<constant profanity then hangs up>"

So there you have it. This is the first time I've been scammed. The people portrayed in this story are NOT actors, these are REAL people that I spoke to. Real morons that make me want to spit on every CSR that I come across from now on. I'm well aware that it's just $100, but it's the princple that matters, and not only that, but knowing that countless others had to go through the same thing. Check out this link,

http://www.musicalscientist.com/pub/about/3gplaza-rebate-fraud/

I'm sorry, but I'm still stunned at the fact that an entire company can be this illegitimate and go about there business everyday like, "yeah, we scam, so what?" Remember this thread guys?

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=549876&highlight=3gplaza

I sure as hell hope that no one ended up going with that deal. cw823, you called it, bro. In your 9th post of that thread...you called it dead on, I'm just sorry that you're wisdom couldn't be shared beforehand. So the point of this story is that...I'm an idiot. I have way too much trust in people. In the end, I'm a sucker for a good deal, but at what cost? I don't expect anyone here to say anything that will get my money back. Now I know how Monarch Computer customers feel.

OH hell it's 6 A.M. already?! Well have a great weekend guys!

do what every other american does when they are mad at someone.... SUE THEM!!!

Don't put this American in that category, thanks!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry to hear of all the BS you're going through Hung, but I do have to say I enjoyed reading this post!! Very well written and very entertaining to say the least! I hope you get it worked out, I would probably go the charge back route myself. Or better yet, go to http://welcome.bbb.org/ you will get help real fast and I'm sure they will help you out. Good luck man.

good luck disputing something that far back with your CC company, they better really like you...

edit: oh and i would not consider this the mother of all scams, countless people have been hit way worse than you were. Just because it happened to you doesn't mean its the worst scam ever.

Last edited:
People keep this in mind and you will most probably be saving yourself from all these kinds of frauds/scams:

If its too good to be true, then it probably is.

Are people that naive to go crazy over MIR? I NEVER buy such a deal, where you end up paying more than the advertised price IF you get your MIR. If you still can't help but falling into the trap, then make sure the store is WELL KNOWN! like newegg or something.

MiR's are a crapshoot you never know if you're going to get them.

i kinda glazed over the post because i got tired of reading the humor :p

Hey thanks for posting everybody. Been too busy to post these days, but just checked my bank and saw this

untitled.jpg

So thanks to Wellls Fargo and their magical powers, I can now take a breather. I just hope that anybody who has the same problem not think 'oh it's been too long to do anything' so they assume that their banks won't help them.

So total wait time for my MIR: :(:(:(:(:(:( 1/2 months.
Total stress level: :mad:x100
Being an idiot and buying from a no-name store, getting tricked into waiting for a MIR like a fool, being scammed, and then crying your bank to get the money back: PRICELESS!!! :clap:

I go to another extreme, I just assume MIR's will never show up, regardless if I'm ordering directly from Intel or from Abu Dhabi Tech(misspelled for effect). I always go for the 'I'm getting a good deal now, not 6-12 weeks' deals.

Always consult with the Better Business Bureau. Nothing will send shivers down the spine of a company than a knock on their door from the BBB.

Always consult with the Better Business Bureau. Nothing will send shivers down the spine of a company than a knock on their door from the BBB.

the tripple b is only going to do any thing if they are part of tripple b, other wise they arent going to do jack.

theres been a number of times my mothers been threatened by "reporting to the BBB" lately because she had to file for bankruptsy and close the doors to her business but she isnt part of the BBB because in all reality its a ResellerRatings.com in but not over the web.

isnt this the place that had the 7200 CPU with a 100% mail in rebate? but the upfron cost was something upwards of $800

Back