• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with new asus p5n-d build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

felix1805

i just put together a new system with the following specs:

asus p5n-d mobo
intel E8400 processor
gklill 4gb pc2 6400 ram
geforce 9800gtx gpu
corsair 450watt power supply
2x250gb sata2 maxtor hds

the system runs any game or application smooth and with no problem, but when i play video files such as .avi or so once in a while the picture goes out of sync, lines appear and then the screen usually goes black and i have to restart, the system just completely crashes basically.
i really dont know what to blame for this maybe the mobo or the gpu could even be ram i just dont know.
can anyone shed some light on this?

Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

The problem lies here : corsair 450watt

You're under-powering that 9800GTX video card. I'm surprised it can play games without it going dead or causing a BSOD or reboot. Really nice setup, and you do have a quality power supply, but it seems that video card needs a little more power than that 450w can give.

hey thanks for the quick reply guys,
i also thought it might be the power supply since 450 watt is the minimum nvidia asks for, but since i havent seen any trouble running games i didnt thnk it could be a power problem since it happens during video playback.
ill try getting a new power supply as soon as possible hopefully that will finally take care of it, ill go for around 600watts i guess. ahh new computers always get more expensive than you think haha

thanks alot anyways!

Back