• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heating Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dekayte

Registered
So my mobo has been shutting down once I get pretty intensive on the CPU. I'm looking at Core Temp and it's going up to 89C at times when I'm looking. I'm pretty sure its the heatsink/compound thats the issue, whats the best way to know for sure? Using E8400.

EDIT: Make that 92-94

If it's hitting 92C under load at stock clocks, it's not the thermal compound. It's more than likely the installation. To give you an idea, most can crank up a E8400 to 4.0+ghz, on a good heatsink and stay in the 50-60C range. I'd think a stock clock E8400 should stay in the 40C range under load. Turn the computer off IMMEDIATELY, take the heatsink off and look under it to see what's going on. Clean off the compound on both the heatsink and CPU, then reapply the thermal compound. Just a dab in the middle is all you need.

Axis

So I've remounted about three times to little to no success.

Idle: 38-45
Load: 60-80

I read that temps vary depending on the batch but I keep seeing people in low 20s idle and in the 40s-50s under load.

That still leaves a few other ideas. Is your CPU air cooled or what? Air cooling is the most common but if your case is a rat nest of cables with limited air flow and no extra fan on front or back, you could be cooking your CPU. Also make sure the heat sink is free of dust and the fans are all working. Cheap bargain bin PC case may have limited or poor air flow design so that's another thing to consider.

Low idle and load temp can be achieved with a good cooler, fans in the right places, and a proper cable management to maintain air flow.

I'm using the Antec900 so I doubt it's the case/airflow. My cables are pretty well managed (or as well as I'm going to get them anyway) so I don't think it's that.

I guess I'll try getting an aftermarket heatsink/cooler and see how it goes, thanks.

Back