• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

e8400 and Asus p5k board misleading settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sunburn74

Hey guys how are you? It's been a while since I've been on this forum. I bought an e6600 a couple of years back and you guys really helped me get the best I could out of it (1.2 ghz oc and stably too) not bad for an amateur.

I just bought an e8400 and an Asus P5k SE v1 board. So far its been good. I can get 8.5 X450 on 1.38 running for 5 mins on prime with low temsp and I'm still going up to see how far I can push the chip.

However I have a few issues

1) there are two settings in my OC config that I can't figure out what exactly they are. I used to run a gigabyte-p965-ds3 which had very clear labels but this Asus board is kinda wonky. The two settings that I am rather clueless as to exactly what they are:

a)cpu gtl voltage reference (which has 4 settings that such as x63, x51, etc)
b) clock overcharging voltage (which has settings of .7 to 1.0 in .1 intervals)

Can anyone explain exactly what they are?

2) When I check pc properties on windows vista the ghz frequency is always wrong. Cpu z reads fine however

Please help if you can. These aren't major problems but like Bacon said knowledge is power right?

Windows and many software don't read CPU clock correctly because they only identify the model and then check the FSB. They don't have the ability to check multiplier.

Same on my WinXP. When I did 8x500, it supposed to be 4GHZ, but Windows and all PCmark/3dmark read it as 4.5GHZ(they thought it was 9x500). I wish it was true lolz.

man thanks! can you tell me anything about those two settings on the OC page for the Asus p5k boards?

can anyone tell me what cpu gtl voltage reference and clock overcharging voltage are on Asus boards?

They are complicated to explain, not even too sure myself. I do know they can help you achieve high FSB overclocks (500+) when you otherwise couldn't, can also fry your CPU.

so leave them on auto? got it

The only thing that bugs me is on the Asus p5k SE board, I can't seem to find an mch setting or a FSB setting or any sort of voltage setting for the board's components. Its just the two listed above and I was wondering if they were just another term for those two things.

Have you checked everything? Asus boards BIOs usually require you to set some kind of "overclocking" setting to manual first before it gives you all the options, the 2 voltage settings your talking about are advanced voltage options only needed in the upper extremes of overclocking, not for regular stuff usualy ie 400-445FSB.

Back