• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking making my performance worse?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Thats right folks, I don't know wtf is going on.

But anytime I overclock my CPU and I run the prime95 it runs fine, but when I'm in games like AOE3 expansions in a semi big battle the game starts lagging like carzy.

I thought it was ping, but I asked everyone else and they said no its fine and they had much worse computers.

SO i clocked it back to 3ghz and I was in a battle 3x as big with no lag.

I also ran Devil may cry 4 performance test and when I overclocked from 3.0 to 3.6 the game actually got worse scores.

I don't know whats going on.

Last edited:
That is odd. Have you tried running 3DMark 06 stock and overclocked? Perhaps heat is an issue and it is scaling way back?

E

Thats right folks, I don't know wtf is going on.

But anytime I overclock my CPU and I run the prime95 it runs fine, but when I'm in games like AOE3 expansions in a semi big battle the game starts lagging like carzy.

I thought it was ping, but I asked everyone else and they said no its fine and they had much worse computers.

SO i clocked it back to 3ghz and I was in a battle 3x as big with no lag.

I also ran Devil may cry 2 performance test and when I overclocked from 3.0 to 3.6 the game actually got worse scores.

I don't know whats going on.
What are your temps it might be throttling down in speed.

Have you checked your NB voltage to see if your PCI-E is running at 1x instead of 16x. CPU-Z should reveal all if you have a look...

It's a common thing that people don't notice...

Thanks for the helpful hints guys I'll check it out tomarrow after work.

Its def. not temps, Freezer Pro 7 is working great as a cooler. temps never go above 50C.

I'll download 3d06 and see waht its doing as well as do all the other checks.

Back