• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opteron 170

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

philz1982

I've looked but haven't found a clear answer what is considered to hot for a 170 . Whats a good avg load and idle temp. This is on modfied air cooling.

55C to 60C was what some peeps ran theirs. I preferred 45-50C. They are easy to cool with a Thermalright U90, Katana II, Xigmatek coolers. You may also consider the Arctic cooling freezer or one of the good low profile 4 pipe opteron sinks such as the Thermaltake CL-P0075. I'm cooling a Phenom with one moded to a 90.

Some of what I'm talking about are on this list.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010110574+4025&name=$25+-+$50

i never liked seeing above 48c loades and ran 3 of them

I'm running an Opty 170. My temps and speeds are in my signature.

Keep in mind that I have made several modifications to the entire setup.

1. I removed the heat spreader from my processor.
2. I lapped and polished the base of my Big Typhoon.
3. I have modified my Lian Li PC-60BW +2 quite a bit. I am not using the normal airflow setup. I am using a 120mm fan exhaust in the the top, I turned the rear 80mm fan around for exhast. I am using the video card fan as an intake rather as an exhaust as Lian Li intended. I also installed a 120mm intake fan on the side panel right over the Big Typhoon so that it blows directly into the fan of the processor's heatsink. Additionally, I added a 70mm fan on the other side panel blowing directly onto the bottom of the motherboard where the CPU socket lies, and achieved this by cutting a hole not only in that side panel but also in the removable motherboard tray so that the fan can blow directly onto the backside of the socket.

Keep in mind that my "24C ambient" is achieved by setting my thermostat's control right on 75F, and my CPU temps are an average of the fluctuations as the room heats up and cools down as the thermostat turns on and off the air conditioning. Also keep in mind that those temps are with all fans running at 7v, which gets annoyingly noisy without and music to drown it out (particularly from the 70mm fan)--I could drop that temp another 1-3C by running all fans at 12v, but that is only for benching and the noise isn't worth running the computer in that condition for typical usage.

However, I will add this: Before I added the two side panel fans (the one blowing directly into the Big Typhoon and the one blowing directly onto the motherboard's socket's backside) I was running this at an even 2.8ghz (280x10). Even with all fans at full blast, max load temps were in the 60-63C range.

And even at 60-63C, the chip ran perfectly stable (longest dual-prime test I ever ran was damn-near 22 hours befoer I shut it down so I could actually use the rig, and that's good enough for me".

Back