• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Complete home PC failure :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowPho

I am in your stack, SUBbing your registers!
Today I spilled some soup on my previous lappy. It wasn't much, I shook the water off, turned off the PC, used a paper towel to get all the water off. Turned upside down, shook some more, try to turn on: nothing!!! I took it all apart, no sign of water inside of it. Seems I shook it a bit too hard, and something inside it broke :(. CPU still works (tested), memory should work, so it's prolly the power adapter. The lappy powers up for 3-4 seconds with CPU HSF spinning, sometimes I hear HDD starting to spin and then it all dies. No display to screen.

So I ran to my big main PC to google for fixes. I turn on the PC and..."GRUB ERROR 17". I pop in a WIN XP CD, "Hard drive cannot be identified". BIOS sees it,MHDD sees it. Win also sees the drive, but no partitions on it. It is as if all my partition data just died. I am downloading a linux live CD to see if it can see the partitions on my 320GB HDD.

Now I am typing this on a backup 1.2GHz PC. Anyone have any idea on fixes?

EDIT: Big PC is UP. I fixed it with a boot program restorer

Last edited:
Today I spilled some soup on my previous lappy. It wasn't much, I shook the water off, turned off the PC, used a paper towel to get all the water off. Turned upside down, shook some more, try to turn on: nothing!!! I took it all apart, no sign of water inside of it. Seems I shook it a bit too hard, and something inside it broke :(. CPU still works (tested), memory should work, so it's prolly the power adapter. The lappy powers up for 3-4 seconds with CPU HSF spinning, sometimes I hear HDD starting to spin and then it all dies. No display to screen.

So I ran to my big main PC to google for fixes. I turn on the PC and..."GRUB ERROR 17". I pop in a WIN XP CD, "Hard drive cannot be identified". BIOS sees it,MHDD sees it. Win also sees the drive, but no partitions on it. It is as if all my partition data just died. I am downloading a linux live CD to see if it can see the partitions on my 320GB HDD.

Now I am typing this on a backup 1.2GHz PC. Anyone have any idea on fixes?
HAHA NICE :p

Back