• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My cheap CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

biosboy4

I just bought a cheap E1400 (dual core celeron/ Allendale core I think) to replace my old 939 build that went out the other day. The cpu is running @ about 2.3 Ghz and is pretty smooth. I have it paired with a 512MB 2600 xt (which went out too but I fixed it yesterday w/ a bios flash) and it runs Crysis almost at max and runs Assassin's Creed at the absolute maximum just fine.

However, I still can't get my desired overclock on my cpu (I think it's cause of my RAM freaking out, which is 4GB of some cheap pc2 6400)

So here is my question,... Is there some sort of pin mod or anything like that I can do to my cpu that would produce any kind of results? Like maybe re-enabling it's disabled cache, or anything really....?

Thanks in Advance guys.

well there is no way to re-enable L2 since its cut on the die level with a laser. as well you didnt say what boare your are using on this setup. you already have the cpu oced then if your at 2.3ghz since stock is 2ghz.

what you have to do for ocing in this case depending on your setup. is set your ram ratio to 1:1, then try clocking it up more. also remember to increase the cpu voltage when ocing th cpu.

more tips will come once you give us the mobo, also what brand/model ram do you use.

My Build

First things first, thatnks a ton for the replies guys.

My build is a Foxconn P9657AB-8EKRS2H mobo

Celeron E1400 cpu

4 1GB sticks of Wintex Ampx memory. The model is 3AXT6400SE5-1024

Here are the newegg links... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186116

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116069

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820161198

Any information as to why I can't get my desired overclock is greatly appreciated,... Oh a Wingman99: I was actually changing cases and accidentally plunged a screwdriver through my 939 mobo.... -_- it messed up my power supply and my RAM. I dunno about the cpu.

the lowest i would go is 1:1, so at 800mhz QDR that s 200mhz. at 1:1 your ram would be ddr2-400mhz, use that ratio and try to clock higher that way.

WP,
i got that so if that is the name then for a 1;1 ratio for best overclock testing, 400 would need to be selected.

Here's the thing

Any voltage changes I make to my cpu don't stay.... Whenever I bring the voltage up even the least little bit, when I exit the bios, it goes back to stock. It's not the battery cause all other settings stay.

Could I be in need of a bios update?

There are two bios's I can download....

The first says it "Update micro code cupid=06FBH."

and the other says it "Fixed for the voltage of 800MHZ memory can't be modified."

I'm assuming I need the second one?

Ok, one last question: Is there a way to flash my bios without a floppy drive? Like maybe through a flash drive or something?

If so, specific instructions would be helpful... as I've never flashed a bios before lol

Thanks again.

Do not do it from windows...I always use the dos floppy method myself unless the board has the bios update feature built into the bios ie Asus. You can use a bootable flash drive but I always forget how so I'll let someone else explain

Ok, one last question: Is there a way to flash my bios without a floppy drive? Like maybe through a flash drive or something?

If so, specific instructions would be helpful... as I've never flashed a bios before lol

Thanks again.

FOX LiveUpdate. the instructions are in your manual

Ok. I just updated my bios. I tested to see if my voltages stayed and now they do. I haven't tried any serious overclocking yet but I will post my results first thing in the morning probably.

Ok. I just updated my bios. I tested to see if my voltages stayed and now they do. I haven't tried any serious overclocking yet but I will post my results first thing in the morning probably.

Did you use FOX LiveUpdate and did you download the file first. just wondering

Yes I used the LiveUpdate thingy and it downloaded it for me. Was easy as pie

Back