• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Keep the 80GB PS3 MGS4 Bundle or the 60GB PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Golden Monkey

OK, so I went out and got the last 80GB PS3 MGS4 Bundle at my local Wally World this morning. They also gave me the $100 gift card. Should I try to sell it for more or should I keep it and sell my 60GB which fetches a good price on Craigslist and Ebay?

Opinions?

Hmm, I thought the 80GB in the bundle had the newer processor that consumed less power. I know it has limited PS2 compatibility but I don't have many PS2 games anymore and as long as it plays GOW, GOW2, and most of the Ratchet games I'm cool.

Am I wrong about the processor?

Hmm, I thought the 80GB in the bundle had the newer processor that consumed less power. I know it has limited PS2 compatibility but I don't have many PS2 games anymore and as long as it plays GOW, GOW2, and most of the Ratchet games I'm cool.

Am I wrong about the processor?

i'm pretty sure the 80gb has the same processor as the 60gb, just missing the emotion engine chip.

Get the 80 gig. ALWAYS go with the newer tech. The old 8800GTS was 640mb... the new one is 512mb... ALWAYS go with the newer tech.

Forget looking at specs... specs can be deceiving. The fact that one product was just released... well... TODAY and another was released a year and a half ago means there's something there now that wasn't before.

Get the 80 gig. ALWAYS go with the newer tech. The old 8800GTS was 640mb... the new one is 512mb... ALWAYS go with the newer tech.

Forget looking at specs... specs can be deceiving. The fact that one product was just released... well... TODAY and another was released a year and a half ago means there's something there now that wasn't before.

the 80gb version came out a long time ago. just the mgs4 bundle just came out.

the newest tech i guess would actually be the 40gb version. it's cell processor is 65nm while the 60gb and 80gb versions are 90nm.

Did they fix the lockup problems with GTAIV for the 60gb? Problems like this, basically out of date system, is the only reason why I would go with the 80 instead.

Got my bundle tonight, just finished hooking it up. Glad I already had a HDMI cable, all ps3 ones at stores were $50-90, what a rip.

Did they fix the lockup problems with GTAIV for the 60gb? Problems like this, basically out of date system, is the only reason why I would go with the 80 instead.

Got my bundle tonight, just finished hooking it up. Glad I already had a HDMI cable, all ps3 ones at stores were $50-90, what a rip.

I got a 60GB and mine hasn't locked up since the 2nd day I had GTA4.

How is ps3? I was thinking about selling my PC and going and buying one since they are offering 100 dollar gift cards.

I got my old machine, Need to get rid of my gaming machine to quit wow lol. It has taken my soul.

I think I'm going to sell the 80GB bundle. I have a guy who will give me $600 for it and I'm keeping the $100 Walmart GC. After tax I'll come out ahead $170. I'll just go buy a DS3 and pocket the rest. I'm not really crazy about the Metal Gear games anyways.

My 60GB has given me no problems except for 1 freeze up on GTA4. No problems since that first freeze up.

I did some more research and I found out the 80GB in the bundle has the same 90nm CPU as my 60GB. All I would really get out of the deal is 20GB, MGS4, and the DS3.

Oh well, at least I can make some cash for a two mile drive to Walmart.

How is ps3? I was thinking about selling my PC and going and buying one since they are offering 100 dollar gift cards.

I got my old machine, Need to get rid of my gaming machine to quit wow lol. It has taken my soul.

Depends on your needs. I like mine but honestly if it weren't for the BluRay player then I would have no use for it. When it comes to games the 360 is better. The PS3 has a couple of exclsuives. Aw, who am I kidding, I always buy every console that comes out. The only restraint I've ever shown is with the Neo Geo.

Depends on your needs. I like mine but honestly if it weren't for the BluRay player then I would have no use for it. When it comes to games the 360 is better. The PS3 has a couple of exclsuives. Aw, who am I kidding, I always buy every console that comes out. The only restraint I've ever shown is with the Neo Geo.

same. i mostly just use it as a bluray player.

Oh god, you had a 3DO?

I was under the impression these new 80gb versions were 65nm am I misinformed?

The 40GB and 80GB both have the 65nm processor but it is not like it is more powerful or anything it only means it uses a lil less power and generates less heat.
In my opinion it is worth keeping the 60GB as it is the only PS3 configuration that actually has the PS2 hardware built into it, the 40GB does not play PS2 games at all and the 80GB mostly uses software emulation to fudge playing PS2 games.

I have owned a 60GB from release and can not be happier, I did borrow my friends 80GB to see if there actually was any big changes but other then a lil less heat and the fact that it lagged a little bit playing a couple PS2 games I do not see any reason to get a 80Gb.

I swapped my launch PS3 for the gunmetal 40G. More silent, 1 year warranty which matters with people's dying blue ray drives, a free MGS4 game and I still got more for the 60GB than the new costs so get a new HDD for it.

My slim PS2 is more efficient to play PS2 games anyway.

Back