• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How should i begin to make a new case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shakka

Basically how would i go about designing a computer case (program/software) and then after it is designed, actually choosing the right materials and getting it built? What i want to do is build a cube shaped case (atx size) that is completely 'grated' all the way around some sort of clip on filter that can easily be removed and cleaned. Fans would be mounted on each side to provide good cooling.

With the first design, I'd suggest sketching it. Then maybe moving it to 3D when you get an idea of what you would like.

Once that is done, you will need to come up with specification sheets that show very detailed dimensions so that someone can make it. :)

I was looking to make it out of steel, but after i sketched out my design, who would i send to to get it made & wat are some programs to turn it into a 3d sketch on the computer?

If i can't make it out of steel, I was thinking along the lines of simple plexiglass cube, but manipulate fans for way better airflow. Im going to start on a rough paint drawing to get an idea as well as sizes. Ill post it up for opinions after.

Last edited:
ill check that out. Google sketch up also seems decent im going to try that. Also if i decide to go the plexiglass route, which i probably will, what can i do to soundproof my system to its much quieter

After reading some modding threads, im not sure on the material im going to use. Should i get polycarbonate sheets as opposed to plexiglass? and how thick should these sheets be.

23k3gya.jpg

The top left 120mm will be blowing outward, the top left 200mm fan will be blowing outward and the top right 200mm fan will be blowing in and the top right 120mm fan will be blowing in as well. Do you think it will provide good airflow?

6t3fwg.jpg

15mg4yw.jpg

Any recommendations on where to change the positions of the parts and/or size?

Last edited:
Back