• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions of a Water Cooling Virgin

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenquinn

Registered
Hello,

I am planing on making my first water cooled system, well its really also my first home made computer system.

I'm planing on getting the parts around 8 to 12 months from now as by then the Coming Up generations of CPUs and GPUs will be out and tested for at least a few months.

So right now I am doing lots and lots and lots of research and planing. Currently I have read the FAQs and done some searching in the forums.

Right now I'm planing on getting a Thermaltake Case(Without a Embedded Water Cooling System) as most of the componets you get with them appear not to be that great. And in many posts people thrash
Thermaltakes Cooling Componets so I'm reluctant to get them.

Also I'm planing on going with Tygon R-3603 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing about 10 feet of it to start with as that would give me plenty of extra tubing since this is my first water cooled system
having extra tubing in case I miss cut some of it is useful. And it seems to be the best around despite the price hike compared to other tubings.

As a coolant instead of going with Distiled or De-Ionized water with Additives. I was thinking of going with a coolant like: Primochill PC Ice NON-CONDUCTIVE Water Replacement

But I was wondering what the Pros and Cons of using each were

Also as I am planing on water cooling a OCed CPU and Dual GPUs(Also OCed) so would it be useful for me to use two Dual Fan Radiators?

Also do Dual Fan Radiators Generally take up as much space as as a Dual Fan?

Right now I'm not going in to much more detail as to what Radiator/Pump and CPU/GPU Water Blocks to get as I Still don't know what case I'm getting

Still have not decided on a Moterboard/CPUs/GPUs/PSU/HDD/Fans/CD-DVD Drive to get as that can wait till after I chose my case

I hope you don't mind me inquiring about a system I will be getting nearly a year from now.

Well, first off.. Welcome to the Forums! :welcome:

Not sure which thermaltake case you're getting, but the Armor series has lots of room.

10Ft of Tygon is fine. That's what I ordered for my first build, and it was plenty. Just make sure all your parts have the 1/2 barbs.

If you're looking for a good quality kit, you can go to DangerDen and put together a custom kit like I did. I'm very happy with it. Actually it's only a kit in the respect that I ordered everything from the same site, all the parts are mix matched. I paid just over $300 including the ultra fast shipping to Canada. So not too bad at all. I also went with the MCT-5 Coolant. It seems to be doing a very nice job.

With a dual GPU setup along with a CPU, a single loop probably wont give you the temps you're going to be shelling out for(due mainly to lot's of heat and more flow restriction). You might want to go with two separate loops or go with a triple Radiator instead. Read up on this matter in the various related threads in this forum.
Yes the rads are as big as the amount of fans that can fit on it. 120, 240, 360mm.

Good for you on doing your homework!:thup:

Tygon is great.

Feser1 or Primochill are both good choices. Pros, no fussing with adding bio-cide's and other things, protection from corrosion and it stores for a long time too. Cons, i'm not sure, probably price.

I would use 2 seperate loops, one for the CPU and NB, and one for your GPU's.
Your GPU's are going to get alot hotter than your CPU or NB, so 1 loop would actually add heat to some components. One dual rad on each should suffice.

I'm not sure what you mean on this one. Check out some Rads and take dimensions into account. Most dual fan rads can actually have 4 fans on them, as a push-pull airflow system, and you can get mounting kits too. Usually they are described as "120.1" for a single fan rad, "120.2" for a double, and etc.... These are for 120mm fans of course.

Get a BIG case. One with water cooling mods, not parts, but holes for hoses and such.

The more research you can do before getting a system built, the better!
Just you watch them prices fall as you wait. In a year you should be able to get a nice DDR3 system for cheaper than they are now. And who knows what Video cards will be out too.

How many builds have you done? Just curious. You seem like you're on the ball here.

And as always, :welcome:!

Just make sure you get an AMAZING pump. To be honest, any water cooling set up is only as good as the pump.

The radiator is the second most important piece. Cooling blocks, honestly the Apogee GT is awesome, and anything beyond that is only over-compensating.

Just remember that with a CPU/GPU loop, you have to have a powerful pump and at least 2x 240mm radiators. 1x 360 might not be enough, especially with how hot the cards are getting nowadays.

Q6600's LOVE water by the way.

Dual rads put a lot of restriction on the loop, if you do not run them in parallel. You may be better off putting the GPU's on a separate loop.

I prefer using distilled water and Purple Ice.

I also prefer clearflex 60 to Tygon, its pretty much the same stuff but cheaper.

The second loop is the most efficient way to do it I think. If you can get room(look at the stacker or armor) even go to dual triple rads. The more radiator you have,the less fan power your gonna need.

Wow lots of replies already going to take me a bit to answer all your posts so here it goes.

I'd like to thank you all for the warm welcome.

To answer you question Sarsbaby I have done zero build so far in my life but I thank you far saying I seem to be headed in the right direction.

Now right now from your posts it looks like I'm learning towards 2 Tipple 120mm Radiators. With 2 loops I'll have to do some hunting around the forums for info about setting up a double loop.

I have one quick question about it do you need two pumps to set up a double loop? Is a doulbe loop something that lets one radiator take the heat out of the water before going to the next water block like this?

Edit: Did some more searching and a double loop would not go like the following but would look more like this? Reservoir - Pump - Y Joint to create to loops - One End going to the CPU Block - First radiator - The other going to the GPUs - Second Radiator - Both Then going back to the pump via another y Joint?

Or I'm I completely off?

Reservoir - Pump - CPU Block - Radiator - GPU Block - GPU Block - Radiator - Back to Reservoir

I was planing on getting a very good pump and radiator. I'm looking in to a Swiftech MCP655 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump With 1/2IN Barbs but I still need to do in depth research on it. It's flow rate is 1200 LPH or 317 GPH If I recall Correctly.

It looks like I may have to remodel the case I get a bit as I don't think any of them are designed to fit two Trippe Radiators internally(So I may be off the the Case Section of the Forum).

Also CGR what exactly did you mean by putting the radiators parallel to each other? That could me on opposite sides of the case or next to each other. I'm guessing you meant next to each other?

Edit: Did some more searching found out about Rad Blocks so It looks like I can mount two tipple radiators without remolding my case.

Edit: Fx-53 I Take it by a Stacker case your talking about the CM Stacker 830/831/832 line of cases?

Last edited:
Your gonna loose A LOT of head pressure doing two passes like that. One 120.3 needs a good pump, I would think two would be a nightmare. Just isolate the two loops on separate pumps and the whole system will perform better. Don't half arse things with WC, you'll end up with a big liquid cooled mess!

Yeah the CM stacker seems popular for WC'ing, and the thermaltake armour would be an easy case to get a pair of rads in. The YY0221 is a great smaller cube, and then there's always the mountainmods U2-ufo cases.

That flow rate is at zero head isn't it? Remember that number drops as more components add restriction. The MPC655 is a good pump, you might also consider a DDC with a good top on it.

Your gonna loose A LOT of head pressure doing two passes like that. One 120.3 needs a good pump, I would think two would be a nightmare. Just isolate the two loops on separate pumps and the whole system will perform better. Don't half arse things with WC, you'll end up with a big liquid cooled mess!

Yeah the CM stacker seems popular for WC'ing, and the thermaltake armour would be an easy case to get a pair of rads in. The YY0221 is a great smaller cube, and then there's always the mountainmods U2-ufo cases.

That flow rate is at zero head isn't it? Remember that number drops as more components add restriction. The MPC655 is a good pump, you might also consider a DDC with a good top on it.

Ahh So one pump per radiator creating 2 completely separate loops. Just to be clear I'm not planing on creating a WC Mess as you put I just want to have a 20/20 Picture of what I'm going to do before I do it.

And what is a DDC?

This is a DDC. Nice pumps, what I'll be going for.

I didn't mean you where gonna make a mess, just meant do it all the way so you don't accidentally acquire one.

Yeah, you would make two loops with two pumps, not two pumps on the same line. That way your putting less heat load into the system in general. One rad for the CPU and northbridge, one for the GPU's, and a separate pump on each one. You'll have to use to reservoirs or two t-lines, but that shouldn't be a big deal in most cases with all the micro-res setups out now.

Just my opinion, but with that many hot GPU's in the line I'd split into two independent loops(I'm doing so with my newest build in fact)

WIth two loops you could reduce your rad size a bit as well. Instead of two 120.3's get two 120.2's

Since I'm probably going with a Dual Loop setup. The H2gO - Solid (Mirror Black Powder Coat) looks like a good choice for a case.

But does anyone know if I would have to drill extra holes for securing two pumps in it?(OR should I ask this in the Case Section of the Forum)

If your gonna spend that much on a case why not a spring for a little more and get the UFO and run dual 120.3's? The dual rads might work, but the X3's are going to work better, especially on a quad GPU loop.

and yes if your'e going to bolt the pumps down you'll need to drill holes for the studs.

If your gonna spend that much on a case why not a spring for a little more and get the UFO and run dual 120.3's? The dual rads might work, but the X3's are going to work better, especially on a quad GPU loop.

and yes if you're going to bolt the pumps down you'll need to drill holes for the studs.

U2-UFO Duality (Mirror Black Powder Coat) - Solid Top Case then or one of the U2-UFO CYO (Choose Your Own) models

Also is it does having fans other then the ones on the radiators help keep the water cooling system cool? I know it would help some what but would it be significant?

Also I've been reading around and it seems Thermochill Radiators are quite often consider the best around?

Last edited:
It's your choice of course, I'd just spring for the u2 unless you need the smaller box :D.

A little airflow certainly would not hurt anything. You'll need it for things like ram, cipsets, fets, etc.

Do you have a budget?

The thermochill 120.3 are pretty expensive. They are good because they use low CFM fans which translate into a quieter system. The swiftech rads are less expensive, but require louder fans. I suggest getting the biggest rads you can afford and fit in a case. That way, you'll be ready for the next thing you want to add to your loop.

I have the TT armor case with a heater core form pep boys. It is cooling my CPU (E8400 -Not so hot) and GPU (8800GTS -G80 Hot). The heater core was 26$ but needs loud fans. My temps are under 50 degress load for both GPU and CPU.

You can do this very scientifically with heat load calculators. First, decide exactly which components you want and how much heat they dump (in Watts). Then you can find out how much heat (in Watts) certain rads can handle at specific fan CFM.

Or non scientifically - build the biggest, baddest system you can with a ridiculous amount of cooling capability and add whatever you want. When it isn't cool enough, add more. Brute force is fun, but can result in disaster.

Are you really gonna wait a year to build? Jeez. I start thinking about building and say "yeah . . . in a couple of months, I'm gonna do blah, blah blah." Than two weeks later, I'm $1,000 poorer and have computer components all over the house and my roommates and girlfriend are shaking their heads in disgust.

My name is Ricky, and I'm and addict.

Last edited:
Do you have a budget?

The thermochill 120.3 are pretty expensive. They are good because they use low CFM fans which translate into a quieter system. The swiftech rads are less expensive, but require louder fans. I suggest getting the biggest rads you can afford and fit in a case. That way, you'll be ready for the next thing you want to add to your loop.

I have the TT armor case with a heater core form pep boys. It is cooling my CPU (E8400 -Not so hot) and GPU (8800GTS -G80 Hot). The heater core was 26$ but needs loud fans. My temps are under 50 degress load for both GPU and CPU.

You can do this very scientifically with heat load calculators. First, decide exactly which components you want and how much heat they dump (in Watts). Then you can find out how much heat (in Watts) certain rads can handle at specific fan CFM.

Or non scientifically - build the biggest, baddest system you can with a ridiculous amount of cooling capability and add whatever you want. When it isn't cool enough, add more. Brute force is fun, but can result in disaster.

Are you really gonna wait a year to build? Jeez. I start thinking about building and say "yeah . . . in a couple of months, I'm gonna do blah, blah blah." Than two weeks later, I'm $1,000 poorer and have computer components all over the house and my roommates and girlfriend are shaking their heads in disgust.

My name is Ricky, and I'm and addict.
My budget is quite large upwards of 3 grand don't have the cash now but I will when I make my new computer. I'm good at managing my money so I'll know I'll have it when I need it.

Mum math formulas where can I find them :p

Edit: I was reading that when looking for fans for your radiators you want High Static Pressure is this true?

Last edited:
Well I thought this warranted a new post compared to a edit of my last one

So far I've been considering the parts that are not hardware specific for my water cooling system. Here is the list so far comments would be most appreciated.

Mountain Mod UFO - CYO Case
Front Panel - Standard
Back Panel - Trippe Standard
Side 1/2/3 - Trippe Original Panel

Thermochill Pa 120.3 Triple 120MM Fan Water Cooling Radiator *No Barbs* x2

Thermochill P120.3 Shroud for Triple 120MM Fans x2

Ek Water Blocks 1/2IN G3/8 Chrome High Flow Barb Fitting (Single) for Thermochill Radiators x4

Scythe Ultra Kaze 120MM High Static Pressure Silent Fan 38MM 2000RPM 87.6CFM 32.9DBA x17 (The case can fit 17 Fans so why not put 17 in it)

Swiftech MCP655-B 12V Industrial Water Cooling Pump *Without Speed Adjustment* 1/2" Barbs x2

Swiftech Hydrx Water Additive Coolant 2 oz Bottle

Tygon R-3603 1/2IN ID 3/4IN OD Tubing 10 Feet

Danger Den Dual 3.5" Bay Reservoir x2

Last edited:
Back