• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trouble deleting a RAID array

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CWB001

Hi,

First of all, let me explain what i want to do. I intend to extend the size of my WinXP partition using Acronis Disk Director (I have plenty of spare space on other partitions). However, I don't want to embark on major open disc surgery without a full back-up.

Fortunately, I thought, my discs are all part of a two disc RAID 1 array. My plan was to delete the array (keeping the second drive untouched as a back-up) and perform the re-partition. If all went well I could then rebuild the array and be on my way. If the worst happened, I could rebuild the array using the untouched second disc as the master and be back to square one but having lost nothing.

I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Premium motherboard, and the RAID is under the control of the NVIDIA system (nForce 4 SLI).

My problem is that, when I run NVRAIDMAN, and right click on the RAID array I do not get an option to delete the array - only options to hot plug, rebuild and convert (in fact, two options to convert!). I have it at the back of my mind that I am not presented with the option to delete because there is a bootable partition on the array, but don't know where I learned this, nor whether it is really true.

I don't want to use the RAID BIOS setup because the motherboard manual tells me that using the delete option there will lose all the data on the array.

Can someone help me out with some advice, please? The only other method I can think of is to disable RAID altogether in the BIOS, boot from the remaining disc, carry out the re-partition and then use the BIOS to re-enable RAID, before re-booting and then rebuilding the RAID. Would this be OK or have I missed something?

I haven't used nVidia raid at all, but iirc... essentially, you actually only have two single drives, and software is 'mirroring' them for you.

If you disconnect the 2nd drive and boot up, it will tell you your raid has degraded or some similar word. Don't be put off by that.

You should be able to simply format the 1st drive and put your image back onto it as planned (to the large partition).

Once that's done and you have it all exactly the way you want it, I would be formatting the 2nd drive and adding it into the mix.

I am picking that your nVidia raid will recognise that it's meant to have a buddy in there looking just like your first drive, and mirror it for you. It might get confused by the 2nd drive's makeup, so as long as you are happy with the fresh build on the 1st drive, I would format the 2nd before re-introducing it.

Sounds complex, but I think it really is that simple.

B

Back