• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system based on x48

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jobeesh

Registered
Hi, not sure if I've ever posted here (definitely not recently) so hello everybody. I had a question about q9300 and the x48 chipset. I know from looking around that the 7.5x multiplier on the 9300 can be somewhat limiting but I was wondering if the 1600mhz capable x48 chipset would be able to push the q9300 further. The board I'm looking at is also no slouch DFI LANPARTY UT X48-T3R. Just wondering if the extra money for the board and the x48 was worth it for the oc potential.

:welcome:. Imo, you're better off with a q6600 and a mid range gigbyte p35 chipset like the GA-P35C-DS3R. Save the money and but a good aftermarket heat sink, like the cheep version of the TRUE, XMG something.

This board can reach 4ghz if you're lucky. (http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=566197)

Stay away from that board and go with the regular DDR2 board. The DDR2/DDR3 compatibility just adds unneeded complication to the board. If you find a cheap on used as the member in that post, sure why not. But not if your buying it new.

Thanks for the advice, I was unsure of the OC potential. I think I'm going to go with a much cheaper build then based on the e8400. Do you think the p35 chipset is my best bet or should I take a look at the x38 or p45.

X38 is only worth it if you are going to use crossfire, otherwise it gains you almost nothing. P45 looks very promising but it is to early to know if the first round of boards is mature enough to run in a primary rig.

Stay away from that board and go with the regular DDR2 board. The DDR2/DDR3 compatibility just adds unneeded complication to the board. If you find a cheap on used as the member in that post, sure why not. But not if your buying it new.

Yup. Don't get the rampage formular especially if you're not using good cooling. The thread I mentioned states the gigabyte board needed lesser voltage than the rampage forumular (x48).

Also, the DFI blood iron uses a p35 and is able to hit 600mhz fsb on a quad on liquid nitrogen. I'm not sure about abit pro since most abit pro uses use dual core.

I was a little wary of the gigabyte board since I've never built with them and I, when I did a little more research, it didn't seem to have a BIOS that was very overclocker friendly. I'm going to take a look at that DFI and read around.

I think this may be my last question. I'm definitely going with blood iron for my board and a q6600. As I'm putting an after market hsf into this computer I was wondering if getting an oem q6600 is going to affect my chances of getting a G0 at all.

I think this may be my last question. I'm definitely going with blood iron for my board and a q6600. As I'm putting an after market hsf into this computer I was wondering if getting an oem q6600 is going to affect my chances of getting a G0 at all.

I don't think you could find a B3 if you tried. Most all will be G0 now, especially if you're buying from a place that moves stock very quickly like Newegg. I think you're all set.

Shoot me a PM when you get the board and I'll gladly give you a hand in overclocking it. The bios is somewhat intimidating at first.

-Collin-

The bios is somewhat intimidating at first.

-Collin-

You win for understatement of the week! My first and last DFI was a Lanparty-UT back when Opteron's were king of the hill. I don't have the time or the need the adjust the most minute sub-timings. But for those that do you can get some crazy OC's, but those last 50Mhz aren't worth the trouble for me.

You win for understatement of the week! My first and last DFI was a Lanparty-UT back when Opteron's were king of the hill. I don't have the time or the need the adjust the most minute sub-timings. But for those that do you can get some crazy OC's, but those last 50Mhz aren't worth the trouble for me.

I know where you're coming from, but this isn't a Lan Party board and it's much more manageable. I had that same board you speak of and this is nothing like that one.

The nice thing about this board is that you can set the 4 major timings, leave the rest to auto, and still boot up at DDR2-1200 if your ram can do it. I was just saying that there is a lot to look at as far as options. But yes, those AMD DFI boards were a nightmare. Anyway, I still think the Blood Iron is as close to perfect as any "budget" board can get.

-Collin-

I consider DFI the "creem of the crop" and they produce like 1 mobo for 1 chipset, making desicions so much easier.

Back