• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dell upgrade questions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ghostcustoms

Well I have my brothers dell xps with Pentium D 820 and its a 775 socket. I want to get him a new mobo without re installing windows or wiping the HD. Is this possible? Any way to transfer what is already on the HD to a larger HD mostly to get to a sata raid set up going?

If there is a sticky or some good reading on the subject?

When you upgrade the motherboard you should reinstall the OS. If he is worried about losing data he needs to seriously re-think his back-up policy. It will probably work but not efficiently. To transfer the info to another just get a drive imaging program. There is a good thread going on in the applications section on the subject you should check out.

Without a reformat your Windows install can/will start doing some wonky stuff, chipset drivers etc.

Also I hope you've fully looked into the replacing a dell system motherboard apporach, since in most cases its a lost cause.

I will check out the drive imaging, problem is he has a good $200 worth of games installed and don't have the cd's anymore. If it wasn't a 775 socket I through the whole thing away but new mobo and latter a new cpu it still has life...

Why would you want a new motherboard for an OEM? Most of the Dell motherboards are pretty decent to begin with and secondly you will have difficulty finding a replacement that 1. Fits, 2. Has the correct power plugs. Even my dimension 9100 has a RAID controller built into the MB.

And yes moving windows to another HD or swapping the MB without reinstalling is bad. Expect performance to suffer if it even works.

Back