• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Previous build =S

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tarky

Registered

I keep going over it i feel that i spent to much on my rig back in august 07 ...

with all the new tech on the market now i wish i didn't spend a fortune

and now i'm thinking of getting more ram and a 2nd graphics card...

I dont feel as if you would get too much from a 2nd graphics card at the moment unless you really are wanting a very powerful machine. In which case whatever you buy is gonna feel overpriced 6months down the line. the GTX 768mb card is damn nice. I use the 8800GTS 512 and it deals very well with almost everything I throw at it and yours is > than that so I cant see any problems here.

the memory at 2gb would be the best area to upgarde I think but be aware than 4gb is the maximum a 32-bit windows can accomodate(this includes your video memory and a few other things) so if you got another 2gb you would only see 3XXXgb available.

Personally id wait though as I cant see any real need for a more powerful PC at the moment and I think you would regret upgrading now with the new Intel cores later this year and the new video chipsets on the horizon.

but hey, this is my opinion, if you have the money any upgrade is nice :)

The only thing I would add to your system is more memory if you don't mind going 64bit Vista.

You got the pretty much the best of the best at the time. That is why I prescribe to my upgrade philosophy, cheap and often. I usually stay a generation behind. For example my current system, $200 quad instead of a $350 quad. $150 card instead of a $600 card.(I don't have the resolution to support a GX2 anyways). In general I get ~90% of the performance to 50%-70% of the costs.

Even still you have machine that is still at the top. You really can't do anything other than the ram, and even thats not necessary, that will give you any reall boost in performance.

Last edited:
Tru tru, i might consider buying another 2gigs sometime later on, however should i buy the exact same ram or can i get away with a 1066 ram without any stability issues .. (i should of considered 64bit vista ><)

Good question i think i can ...

Although the installation media included in retail packages is a 32-bit DVD, customers without a DVD-ROM or customers who wish for a 64-bit install media are able to acquire this media through the Windows Vista Alternate Media program. The Ultimate edition includes both 32-bit and 64-bit media. Beware that the digitally downloaded version of Ultimate includes only one version, either 32 bit or 64 bit from Windows Marketplace.

I didn't read that you purchased all that back in August. I was all like "Holy **** is he getting ripped off"

No that was the highend stuff that was out back then, and now its mostly midrange, happens all the time with computers. Personaly I always like buying midrange systems, $700 or so system and its within the same performance class as a $2000+ rig especially if your overclocking, few years down the line you do it all over again.

Don't think your Vista Ultimate has 64bit since its OEM, retail versions of Vista even the lower end ones have 32 and 64bit.

I wouldn't upgrade unless you feel you need the performance, what is the situation that makes you think you need a 2nd GPU? Unless your using 1900x1200 or higher with AA probably won't make much difference.

Another 2gigs of memory would help you alot with Vista though, even though some of it wouldn't be used due to 32bit, 2gigs tends to feel a bit sluggish with Vista and gaming, though its perfecly fine on XP. Its also very cheap 2gig kits these days can be as low as $30 for CAS4 after rebates.

i'll never find a $30 ddr2 in Australia/Sydney... were bloody expensive down here, however i might only consider buying an extra 2gig ram.

To top it off on that the GTX are discontinued down here and the GX2's have taken over =/ even if i wanted to run x2 GTX i wont be able too.

Have you OC'd that Q6600? While the 680i's in general weren't the best for OCing quads, you should be able to hit 3.0ghz pretty easily and you'd get some decent performance gains from that extra 600mhz. You'd need a good CPU heatsink though.

Axis

Nope haven't OC it to 3ghz yet thats because there wasn't any decent heatsinks for it back then, And i won't be bothered stripping the motherboard it was a hassle putting the stock heatsink as it was almost broke the board stupid bracket...

Back