• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

temporary cooling to see how far I can go before buying aftermarket cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberfish

I am currently thinking about getting an aftermarket cooler for my E6300. However, I want to know how far I can push it first.

On the stock cooling, I am running 3.15ghz on 1.3000V, and am getting ~70 degrees on load (temperature bound). I don't want to buy an aftermarket cooler only to find out that it maxes out at 3.20 or sth. Is there anyway I can test it? I am thinking about taking the side panel off and blow a desk fan at full power on the motherboard. Is that all I can do, though? (cheaply, using household items)

Of course, noise and dust and such don't matter at all =).

Do you have an AC you can place it next to? During the summer, my intake fan is right in front of my AC which (obviously) knocks a good couple of degrees down.

Hmm I just tried the fan method out and there doesn't seem to be ANY improvement on CoreTemp readings. I guess the stock heatsink is the bottleneck then and not the airflow.

YA IF YOUR VOLTS IS KEEPING YOUR CPU HOT THEN JUST A FAN BLOWING ON IT DOESNT HELP .. BUT DUCTING TO YOUR HOUSE A/C CAN HELP A LITTLE

NOTHING IS GOING TO WORK BETTER THAN A GOOD HEATSINK

(Watch the caps lock man ..)

I think you'll be hard pushed to lower your temps with a stock cooler, they simply aren't efficient enough because of having no heat pipes and little surface area .. You would really have to bring your ambient temps down a fair bit and have a hell of a load of air flow ..

Ah I see. No AC here. It's pretty uncommon to see an AC here in Vancouver, actually, with highest temperature ~25C. I just bit the bullet and ordered a OCZ Vanquisher ($15. I know Freezer 7 Pro could be a bit better, but it's almost double the price). See what I can do with it when it arrives =).

The stock cooler sucks big cojones man, just buck up and buy a good air cooler, it will save your chip in the long run by keepin it cooler.

only thing i have ever seen an intel stock cooler put to good use as was a chipset LN2/dice pot and maybe a gfx card cooler but the chipset pot was tight.

i can think of a couple of things you could try.

faster fan on the heatsink.

leave the side of the case off.

open your window so the room is cooler.

place another fan blowing on the heatsink to try and remove the hot air faster from around it.

better thermal paste arctic silver or somthing.

Thanks.

I don't have a faster fan to put on heatsinks, and I have already tried with the side off and a fan blowing into it, and am already using AS5.

I have just received my OCZ Vanquisher, so all is well now.

Back