• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Painfully slow LAN File transfers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

silkolene

Registered
I'm having one heck of a problem transferring files on my home network.

My machine is running Vista64 w/ SP1 and the other 2 are XP. All computers are connected via a Linksys WRT54g.

It doesn't matter whether or not I try and get files from the XP box, or the XP box tries to get files from me, the speed at which these files are transmitted is somewhere around 1 to 100Kb/s.

The XP boxes transfer files just fine.

I've read all the jargon and tried all the recommended "fixes" but nothing works.

File size doesn't matter either. 1MB or 100GB, its still slow as dirt. Right now it would be faster for me to throw the files on a USB stick and transfer them that way.

Any ideas?

How are you transfering them? Drag and drop? Did you map the network drive and see if that helps?

EDIT: for some reason I have had good speeds when assigning the IP's of 169.254.100.xxx to the computers on a local network, but this was way before Vista...

Last edited:
How are you transfering them? Drag and drop? Did you map the network drive and see if that helps?

EDIT: for some reason I have had good speeds when assigning the IP's of 169.254.100.xxx to the computers on a local network, but this was way before Vista...

Yeah just copy/paste via the GUI

All computers are connected via a Linksys WRT54g.
it would be faster for me to throw the files on a USB stick and transfer them that way.

There are two issues here:

(1) The WRT54G is limited to 100 Mb/s networking, which is less than ideal these days and less than 1/2 the potential rate when transferring using USB devices.

(2) You seem to be running into a Vista-XP performance problem.

For (1), USB will be faster than using the WRT54G. The solution to speeding up the network would be to add a gigabit switch such as the D-Link DGS-2205 between the router and your computers ensuring that you have gigabit NICs on all the computers where you want fast networking.

This however might not solve (2). Standard diagnostics suggest trying different factory-terminated cables, and updating the network drivers, esp. on Vista.

There are two issues here:

(1) The WRT54G is limited to 100 Mb/s networking, which is less than ideal these days and less than 1/2 the potential rate when transferring using USB devices.

(2) You seem to be running into a Vista-XP performance problem.

For (1), USB will be faster than using the WRT54G. The solution to speeding up the network would be to add a gigabit switch such as the D-Link DGS-2205 between the router and your computers ensuring that you have gigabit NICs on all the computers where you want fast networking.

This however might not solve (2). Standard diagnostics suggest trying different factory-terminated cables, and updating the network drivers, esp. on Vista.

The problem isnt that. Im not even coming close to hitting the 100MB/s of the router. Im getting 100Kb/s.

And by USB stick I meant copying the files in the drive, walking across the house and copying the files off the drive onto the other computer.

All drivers are up to date.

Found the problem.

Dug an old switch and hooked it up. VIOLA speeds are back to normal.
I guess the WRT54G was the culprit.

Guess Vista just doesnt like that router.

Back