Notices

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.
Forum Jump

ups shipping question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Old 06-18-08, 08:59 PM Thread Starter   #1
creepy

ups shipping question

I live in an apartment so when I order stuff I have it sent to my parents house. Anyways I ordered some stuff ups a few minutes ago and accidently put my zip code instead of theirs (same town -- maybe 5 miles away from eachother) do you guys think there will be an issue with the shipping?
creepy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-08, 09:05 PM   #2
SunRedRX7

You should be good, especially if its the same town as it will end up at the same UPS Hub. At most a day delay in delivery if it gets put on a truck that doesn't handle that specific route.

SETI@home, Climate Prediction, Einstein@Home, Predictor@home, LHC@home
Click here to visit The BOINC/SETI section of the forums
Click here to visit The Team32 Folding section of the forums

Heatware
SunRedRX7 is offline SETI Profile Heatware Profile Rosetta Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-08, 09:06 PM   #3
Malpine Walis
Disabled

Check your email. If the shipper doesn't have an issue, then UPS will send it to the most specific address that they have.
Malpine Walis is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-08, 09:32 PM   #4
Shelnutt2
Overclockers Team Content Editor

You should be fine, although once I accidentally put the wrong (my home) zip code on an order for work. This was via USPS. Well it caused it to go to a different post office, which was only about 10 minutes from the one it should have went to. The package got caught in a loop, as it kept being transfered back and forth between post office's. I kept trying to pick it up at the post office, but it was being routed through the main hub at the airport, so it would get on the truck at 6am, go to the airport for rerouting, then be put on a later truck and not get to the second post office till around 4/4:30 and wouldn't be sorted until the next morning where it was thrown back on the truck because the post office thought it was in the wrong place.

After about a week of this one of the post masters said he would personally hold the package for me. Needless to say I've never made the mistake again.

Want to run the folding@home gpu client in linux?
www.linuxfah.info

Your teacher is a dumbass. The equation is exact. ~Frodo Baggins
Damn....It's 12:00 AM and I thought my 805 would be a magic pumkin and turn into a conroe.........boy was I fooled:) ~Stilletto
This is what I get for not only being a newb, but also disregarding instructions! ~ShadowPho
I hate women... but im not gay lol. ~MrCrowley
Love can fade but knowledge stays forever (unless you develop alzheimers). ~Constantinos
Shelnutt2 is offline Folding Profile   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-18-08, 10:30 PM Thread Starter   #5
creepy

Thanks. Im also going to try and call the place I ordered from first thing in the morning and see if they can edit the shipping info before it goes out.
creepy is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-19-08, 12:12 PM   #6
Silversinksam
Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©

10 Year Badge

You guys must have missed the NGeo channel segment last week regarding UPS.(also on History Channels Modern Marvels) The whole show was UPS, and they spoke of this exact issue when walking around their Worldport and how incorrect zips get handled. (I'm sure the show will be repeated, you should watch it, very interesting. Things like, ever notice that UPS drivers never make left turns while driving the UPS trucks? All kinds of info. I just wanted to know how a global priority next morning overnight delivery packages get halfway around the world so quickly. Well they showed how they do it. One of the better shows I've watched in awhile.

Now, initially the parcel might get let astray if local, if not, when the parcel gets to the UPS Worldport, their supercomputer should identify and fix this easily by itself, it goes something like this:

The parcel leaves your local UPS facility if not local, then heads to Kentucky where the worlds largest UPS package facility resides. It then gets classified into three groups, small, bigger and unmanageable. Unmanageable is big parcels that may have trouble on their 100 miles of laser readers, camera readers and all sorts of gadgetry and conveyor belts. When your package gets to the Kentucky facility, it gets sized and initially scanned, then off to the main reader where humans are also there putting the labels on, but only after the main camera and laser readers which are linked to a massive server farm uses it's massive computer bank brains to see if all the info is correct. Your's will be stopped by the UPS super brain server, it will easily identify the wrong zip. (What's amazing is this system is uber fast, I'm glad I watched this, as I always wondered how they do it)

Anyway, once the super brain servers see your issue, at this point the package will be identified, then the correction is applied (The wrong zip), then a new label is put on and then it goes on the conveyor leading to the correct UPS plane or if local, the proper UPS truck to get it where it needs to go.

The place is huge, four million sqr feet (80+ football fields at present) and there's plans for it to get alot bigger in the near future, its already gone through expansions. Place is bigger than the Louisville domestic and international passenger terminal next door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg worldport.jpg (183.3 KB, 26 views)

-You have over 101 posts and Can't see the classifieds??? Click this link.

My Heatware
Silversinksam is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-19-08, 12:43 PM   #7
EmAn

thank you SSS for the definitive answer

SPC in the US ARMY working on AH-64D Appache Longbow Attack Helicopters
Yes I work on a $47,000,000 computer that has two jet engines attached to it A LOT of spinning parts and of course... Rockets, GUNS, and Missiles
EmAn is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 06-20-08, 03:53 AM   #8
Moto7451
Senior Something

You can call the local hub and ask them to reroute it. Shippers tend to like it when you're proactive like that.

D5 Pump • Bonneville w/ AC Heater Core • Gemeni Cooling Maze 4 Style Water Block

Sager 8690: Core i7 940XM Exreme 2.13GHz (3.2GHz Turbo), 4GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 285M 1GB, 15.6" 1080 LCD, 320GB 7200RPM HD

Difference Between D5 Revisions + flow mod Difference between NPSM & G1/4
Moto7451 is offline   QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Overclockers Forums > Discussions > General Discussion
General Discussion Forum for general conversation, share interests, have a laugh or discuss anything not related to above or below forums.