• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Burnt out pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wreckwriter

Hi guys, My MCP655 has died a sudden death. I have a new one on the way but have a question about changing it out. Since the part that has gone bad is the motor, is it possible to screw the old bottom end off and replace it without draining the system? I don't recall if what type of connection is between the pump head and the motor.

Thanks guys!

Hopefully this helps:

mcp650-exploded-view-640x62.jpg

I don't own one of these pumps, nor have I seen one opened up in person.

But, judging by that diagram, you'll need to drain your system to swap the motor (may as well just swap the whole unit).

Depending on how its mounted, and if the tubing is on really tight, it may be easier to unscrew the impeller housing instead of swapping the whole unit. But either way, you will need to drain the whole loop.

Yea, I was hopeful but I see you are right, it has to be drained. Probably will just replace the bottom end since the top end is nothing but a mount for the hoses. That will make the job quite a bit easier.

Thanks for the help guys!

Probably should have the whole thing replaced, not just the motor. The impeller could be worn out or something and you wouldn't want something to go wrong in a few days or so, forcing you back inside the PC again.

I think he means everything but the top, which is just a piece of plastic, though I do agree. I would compare the old top to the new top and see if the old top has excess wear.

Also, how long did your old one last?
Dan

Yea, I mean everything but the top. Based on the diagram the top is just the inlet and outlet. As far as how long it lasted, not nearly what I expected, 6 months probably.

That's what always worried me about the 12v pumps. It's a bit of a PITA to set up a 120v pump in the system, but there is no arguing about the quality or longevity of Eheim or Iwaki pumps. That's why I stuck with 120v pumps from those 2 so far.

Got it changed with only the usual issues. I ended up changing the whole thing, it was less chance of spillage on good stuff that way. Thanks for the tips guys!

Good to hear. That seems odd, given the 50,000 MTBF (thats over 5 years constant running). I've had mine for almost a year now with no issue. Did it run dry ever and did you add a lubricant to the coolant?
Dan

You may want to add a bit of lubricant to the loop (like water wetter or purple ice), but I haven't heard of many of these pumps burning out with or without it.
Dan

Back