• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q6600 Underclocked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bizarre

Registered
I've just built a new system(my first build) with a Q6600(G0), 4GB DDR2 1066 ram on a Gigabyte x48 DS4 motherboard. The system works, but I was surprised to find that the multiplier on the cpu is 8x instead of 9x, giving me 266x8=2.13GHz instead of 2.4. The bios and CPU-Z showed the 8x multiplier. I've checked in the bios, and it does let me change the multiplier value to a 9.
So i'm wondering, can i just change in to a 9 and not have to change anything else? Also, why would the cpu not be @ 2.4 out of the box like t should be?

Any help is appreciated.

possibly you need to have the bios updated. while this cpu is older the board should correctly ID the cpu. then set the multi to 9x for it to run at 2.4ghz. if you can set the multi to 9 and it comes up to 2.4ghz then no issues.

Thanks! I've checked the Gigabyte website and there are no updates for the bios now. I'll try changing it to 9x and see what happens.

I'm fairly certain that this is just another case of forgetting to turn off C1E/Speedstep.

if it was speed step or eist then the bios would not be showing 8x, instead it would be 9x. then in cpuz it would be showing 6x as that is the lowest multi that can be used.

ok so EIST/SPEEDSTEP is active but its not what is causing the multi to not be at 9x for the Q6600. you could disable EIST/SPEEDSTEP and see if that makes a difference but i dought it.

I'm just back from the bios. "Enchanced Halt"-C1E is enabled. I'll try to turn it off.

Ok, I disabled C1E, and now ZPU-Z is showing only the 8x multi without going to 6x, just as you said, Evilsizer. I guess I'll try to kick the multi up to 9 now.

i would call or email gigabyte tech support, something is funky with the bios. as it should be defualt of 9x per the cpu, so its nothing "we" can fix.

Success! I just made the multi 9x in bios, C1E enabled. Now it's 2.4 under load. Thanks for the help guys!
I'll probably call Gigabyte just to find out what's going on, but it seems to be working fine now.

Back