• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

intel warranty & resales

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

leftheaded

how does intel know which cpus are retail and which are oem? is it derived from the serial number? do you have to send in the orig box with HSF??

i'm thinking of buying a used cpu with the box, but the HSF is missing. fine by me, but will intel care for warranty service?

I have no idea about the answer to your question but it is likely tied to the serial number, but keep in mind if the CPU was ever OC'd the warranty is voided.

I have RMA'd various Intel CPU's in the past and have never needed to send in the box or heatsink. If possible, try to make sure that the FPO/BATCH Code on the box matches the heat spreader

I have RMA'd various Intel CPU's in the past
I've been through probably 40 CPUs since I started building computers nine years ago - AMD and Intel. I've never had a CPU go bad. In my experience, CPUs are one of the toughest, best made components in a computer.

Sorry, that was starting to stray into the off-topic arena.

I agree with Leonardo

CPU's are built with something like a 10 year life expectancy.
If your worried about it breaking, its very unlikely, if your worried about breaking it or it having already been broken, well, thats not what the warrenty is for.

its for a qx9650... i thought it was a given that people overclock those :)

in any event, i didn't buy that particular cpu. got one from someone else who had box & hsf. woohoo QX9650 L739A en route... hope she's a dandy. :beer: :santa:

well there is a line intel will ask for from the cpu. its not the batch it another line on there, kinda hard to see. i guess the coding from that line tells them OEM or Retail, you dont need the hsf or box. .

well there is a line intel will ask for from the cpu. its not the batch it another line on there, kinda hard to see. i guess the coding from that line tells them OEM or Retail, you dont need the hsf or box. .
For some reason they told me many times to send in my cooling fan and then they send me a new intel box.

They use to void your warranty if you did not use the intel cooling fan and pad

Last edited:
well i sent in a P4 along time ago they told me just the cpu. they never asked about what cooling was used. the cpu just quit working in my friends box completly stock running, cooled by a wcing koolance case. they may have changed the requirements now for core 2, i dont know since mine are oced.

well i sent in a P4 along time ago they told me just the cpu. they never asked about what cooling was used. the cpu just quit working in my friends box completly stock running, cooled by a wcing koolance case. they may have changed the requirements now for core 2, i dont know since mine are oced.
Did they send you a new intel Boxed CPU

I've had to rma one of the new cpu's.

We had a customer here at our shop buy a c2d and put it in a system that QUICKLY accumulated dust. It was a shop computer. The cpu sat at a steady 80-90C for about a year and a half before it finally gave up and stopped posting.

The guy brought it back and we called up Intel. Intel needs all 3. The box, cpu, and fan. Their is a number on the CPU fan (the 2nd row to be exact) that corresponds to the batch number for the cpu. If they don't match, Intel will not replace the cpu. :bang head

Luckily the guy had the right parts so the replacement went ok.

Intel needs all 3. The box, cpu, and fan. Their is a number on the CPU fan (the 2nd row to be exact) that corresponds to the batch number for the cpu. If they don't match, Intel will not replace the cpu. :bang head
This was about 7 months ago.

ok, that pretty much confirms what i had read somewhere. curious, did the Intel rep explicitly state they all three had to match, or did you infer it?

ok, that pretty much confirms what i had read somewhere. curious, did the Intel rep explicitly state they all three had to match, or did you infer it?
on all the CPU's i sent back they just said send fan and cpu and i had to read the code off the cpu

Last edited:
on all the CPU's i sent back
I don't know how many "all" is, but I'm curious to how you could have multiple bad CPUs. Although my personal experience is 0 out 40 CPUs being bad - and that's just one consumer's experience - it's just very rare that I read about CPUs losing functionality or being DOA. I'm not implying anything, I'm just curious.

Back