• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like to Overclock to 3.0GHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlist65

Registered
Here are my specs:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G rev. 1.0
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz BE
PowerSupply: 450w
Ram: MWave 2Gigs DDR2 533 PC4200 non-ecc
Video Card: GeForce 8500GT 1GB 128bit PCI Express x16
Running Windows XP Professional SP2

My question is can I Overclock the CPU without making major changes to my system and can my Ram support the overclocking. I was told by making minor changes to the CPU that I can get 3.0 or 3.1 out of this CPU. Can someone provide me some info on how to do this without blowing my system up.
:confused

the Black Edition has an unlocked CPU multiplier, by far the easiest way for you to overclock would be to up the multi and keep the FSB at the current level. this would only OC the cpu leaving the RAM at stock speeds. and yes your RAM can support OC'ing, but only until it hits a certain speed, in which case higher voltage and more cooling may be necessary to maintain those speeds, or increase them. Usually a small bump of .1v or .2v is all you'll need but hey.. you may not even need to do that.
Worst case scenario is you increase the speeds too high and then you can't boot. Or if voltages are too high you fry something.

oh yes, and welcome, Zif made a good point, there are many good stickies for learning to OC :)

I would focus on upping the multi with that ram... but who knows...
Probably not going to get too high with the FSB till u get some decent DDR2 800 sticks..

Thanks for the info. How much can I bump up the multi to reach 3.0GHz.

X15 will get you 3G.
With 1.9-1.95V that RAM may do as much as 600. Increase the RAS-CAS and TRF settings by 1. (IE) 4-4-4-12 to 4-5-4-13.

hope all is going well...make sure you monitor your temps when oc'ing. :beer:

i like h/w monitor and core temps. also cpu-z is a must.

Okay my CPU Multiplier is x15, but when I run cpu-z it still says x13 and 2.6G, when I run Windows System Information it says I have 3.0G. Which one is the right one.

this may be a dumb question but, do you have the latest version of cpu-z? and in BIOS make sure you have CnQ (cool n' quiet) disabled. you're cpu may be throttling up or down depending on activity.

I have the latest version of cpu-z, I do not have anything like CnQ in my Bios, but does that pertain to the Fan control. I have CPU/System Fan Fail Warning, CPU Smart Fan, CPU Smart Fan Mode, and System Smart Fan Conrol.

Cool n Quiet is in there somewhere, disable to stop your CPU getting underclocked in idle. When you were at stock did CPU-Z show a lower speed during idle as well?

No, cpu-z showed 2.6 and my multiplier is x13, maybe my motherboard has CnQ by another name. Does anyone have a Gigabyte Motherboard GA-M55Plus-S3G and can tell me were the CnQ is so I can disable it.

CnQ may be under power management so check there just in case. On the last 2 AM2 boards I've had both had CnQ within overclocking features.

I have looked in the CMOS and BIOs with no luck in finding CnQ, is it under another name besides CnQ. I am going to email the Gigabyte to see if they know.

I just looked under PC Health Status, would CPU System FAN Control also be ths Cool n Quite. There is also CPU Smart Fan Mode.

can you take photos of your bios screen and upload a few? maybe someone can see whats going on in there.

Gigabyte just sent me a email, they say to "You access CTRL + F1 under the main screen on the bios", but when I do this the screen flickers and goes to the help screen. Unless they want me to press CTRL + F1 before the computer boots up. Any ideas???

Back