• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water bed as a res...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mycobacteria

I want a large res that dont take up too much space...

I also want to sleep on a water bed...

Has anyone used the water bed as the res to the PC?

Well if you use a normal water bed then you will be pumping heated water into your computer. If you don't heat the water bed then you won't be very comfortable sleeping in it ;) Also, even a water bed that isn't heated and you don't sleep in probably isn't going to beat a small radiator with quiet fans.

well if its durring the summer or you live in a hot area all year round then you could cool the water bed and you'd be good i bet

I'd be worried about the liquid exchange, if you sit on the bed it would cause a major pressure increase on both ends of the loop.

Ohh yea, the pressure change when you lay on the bed. hehe, POP!

And methinks putting the fittings on the bag (I still use a WB since 1982, no kidding, same frame etc) would be hard to do, or do right.

A leaking waterbed is a ugly ugly thing.

"Cool" idea,

I think there will be more problems associated with the erratic pressure drops that the pump and loop might sustain whenever you are tossing and turning about, and getting in and out of bed everyday. Imagine being able to squeeze water in your loop through a reservoir bladder... both in the direction of the flow in the loop and AGAINST it. You could induce "dead" spots in the loop whenever you move on the bed.

I also agree with the comments surrounding water temperature, because that bed is not going to be pleasant in the winter months, and even at night during the hot summer... I have my window fan on auto-off because it gets too cold even though it is 90+ during the day.

But do not let anyone discourage your creativity and enthusiasm... most of all I would like to see this done too! Imagine the nerd-points you will acquire, by being able to integrate your computer life with you 24/7... the ladies will just be lining up!

If you decide to go through with it, good luck and keep as posted.

bryan d

Why use a large res?

It doesnt increase the cooling capabilities anymore then using a small res. It just takes longer to get to the mean average temp.

Re: OP,

I wouldnt do it, I wouldnt even suggest attempting it. Waterbeds hold a few hundred gallons of water (depending on size and type), any leak while you are not there can mean a few thousand in repairs to property.

Increacing the pressure in a WC loop will effect neither the flow rate nor the overall performance. Flow rate depends on the net pressure differential between the pump inlet and the pump outlet. If both are raised equally, the flow rate remains constant.

Back