• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can Q6600 OC to 4ghz On Fan Cooling??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

markgiles

Registered
Is it posiable for a Q6600 2.4ghz to reach 4ghz being stabel and on Fan cooling if so what would be the best set up such as M/B and psu and HSF. Also dos anybody know what the setting would need to be in the BIOS as i have looked on youtube and there is a guy who has managed to OC his 2.4ghz GO stepping to 4ghz but no information on weather he was using water cooling or fan

pleas e some on help im a noob on this stuff been reading on this fourm for like a week now trying to find information about his:(:(:(

this is what i have now as a set up but im going to b replacing certain thing such as case M/b hsf and graphics card.

CPU: Q6600 2.4ghz Go stepping
M/b: Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
PSU:Extra Value 650W ATX Silent PSU with 12cm fan/dual 12v rails 20+4pin
GRX:Asus 8500GT TOP Overclocked Edition 256MB DDR3 DVI VGA TVO PCI-E Graphics Card
RAM: Corsair 2GB Kit (2x1GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 XMS2 Memory
Non-ECC Unbuffered CL5 Heat Spreader
HDD: Maxtor STM3160215AS 160GB SATAII 7200RPM 2MB Cache - OEM

it is highly unlikely you'll do it on air, but if you have an amazing Q6600 and you want to try, then I would suggest a lapped TRUE with two fans that are each capable of over 100CFM. If you have sensitive ears then I would try a water setup!

I would agree. 4Ghz on stock cooling is very unlikely. Also I was looking at this:

" Extra Value 650W ATX Silent PSU with 12cm fan/dual 12v rails 20+4pin"

What kind of power supply is that? Never heard of this "Extra Value" brand before. You've got a nice setup there, it would be a shame for it to fry with that "extra value" power supply. I would suggest working towards getting a quality brand/made power supply before you start any type of overclocking.

Btw, Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

I would agree. 4Ghz on stock cooling is very unlikely. Also I was looking at this:

" Extra Value 650W ATX Silent PSU with 12cm fan/dual 12v rails 20+4pin"

What kind of power supply is that? Never heard of this "Extra Value" brand before. You've got a nice setup there, it would be a shame for it to fry with that "extra value" power supply. I would suggest working towards getting a quality brand/made power supply before you start any type of overclocking.

Btw, Welcome to O/C Forums :welcome:

cheers i brought it from ebuyer.com it was like £50 so could you give me so recomendations on a new motherboard that will support water cooling and grphiacs card HSF and case fans + a good case as well a water cooling system that would allow me to OC this far as this is what i am looking to get out of my Q6600.

thanks for the help guys

well so far i have managed to overclock my set up to 3ghz and it is runing with no erros in prime95 and system temps are core0 44c-49c core1 39c-41c core2 35c-39c core3 34c-38c is this too hot or is it okay.:confused:

well so far i have managed to overclock my set up to 3ghz and it is runing with no erros in prime95 and system temps are core0 44c-49c core1 39c-41c core2 35c-39c core3 34c-38c is this too hot or is it okay.:confused:
Those temps are great!...check the link in my sig for my *successful*efforts to break 4.0GHz :beer:

What HS are you using and what is your ambient temp like? Also, what program are you using to measure your temp?

Your mobo is fine, it's the psu i'm worried about. Your mobo will support a waterblock if you decide to go H20. I would suggest going with a really good air cooler for the cpu such as the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE) . Considered to be the best of the best. pair it up with some really good fans and you're set.

Watercooling is alot of work and you may have to mod your case for the radiator/fans.

As for power supplies, This Corsair 650w will definately fit the bill. Hopefully you can find it in your area.

What HS are you using and what is your ambient temp like? Also, what program are you using to measure your temp?

i am using stock at the moment but will be changeing it to what ever you guys recoment 2 me lol :santa2:

Your mobo is fine, it's the psu i'm worried about. Your mobo will support a waterblock if you decide to go H20. I would suggest going with a really good air cooler for the cpu such as the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE) . Considered to be the best of the best. pair it up with some really good fans and you're set.

Watercooling is alot of work and you may have to mod your case for the radiator/fans.

As for power supplies, This Corsair 650w will definately fit the bill. Hopefully you can find it in your area.

for the Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE) you said to use had a look at it and it said "Both Ultra-120A and Ultra-120 eXtreme do not include a backplate for AM2&AM2+ systems. If you have motherboard manufactured by either Asrock or Gigabyte that utilizes the push pin method, you will need to make a separate purchase for an AM2 metal backplate."
so dos this mean i will need to buy that extra thing or not as mu M/B dos have those push in things on help lol

That is correct. It's advised, becasue of the sheer size of the TRUE 120, you should use a 775 backplate. This will help in maintianing a good contact against the cpu and give the heatsink support thus not inflicting any damage cause by the bending/warping of the board.

Scroll down Here and check the " LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit Retail BOX" This is what you'll need.

You can use this one too and it's cheaper.

thanks for that nebulous will do need to get paid first lol will Privete message u when i doen all of what we have talked about

Back