• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How the hell did they do that?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://www.como-hacerlo.com/play/wa...tutorial-button-rollovers-video-tutorial.html

Very boring, hard-to-see video... but at the end there's a VERY cool looking mirrored slider of other videos.

How does one go about making one of those? I need to find out for a site I'm putting together.

That's part of the YouTube video player...

Edit: Decided not to just leave you with no help or advice at all. In order to make a slide that remotely resembled that on the YouTube player, you'd have to be pretty skilled with Flash, Photoshop, and Coding. You could make a very basic one in Flash, but even for the most basic, you'd have to know a bit about Flash to get it. And I'm assuming you don't really have any experience with it, because most people who see something like that and say, "I want one." And know how to use Flash would be able to instantly start plotting ideas for one (Like I did.) It'd be a very long painful process to teach you exactly how to make something like that, even something simple that doesn't do things like grab random data based on the movie you're currently watching and add similar items after that video.

Last edited:
That's part of the YouTube video player...

Edit: Decided not to just leave you with no help or advice at all. In order to make a slide that remotely resembled that on the YouTube player, you'd have to be pretty skilled with Flash, Photoshop, and Coding. You could make a very basic one in Flash, but even for the most basic, you'd have to know a bit about Flash to get it. And I'm assuming you don't really have any experience with it, because most people who see something like that and say, "I want one." And know how to use Flash would be able to instantly start plotting ideas for one (Like I did.) It'd be a very long painful process to teach you exactly how to make something like that, even something simple that doesn't do things like grab random data based on the movie you're currently watching and add similar items after that video.

You should never assume. :)

I do know quite a bit about flash, and photoshop, and after effects, and premiere, and web programming. I realize it's part of the youtube player (and I wish I had their .fla file...)

I guess I probably should've posted this in the programming section... but my question is actually much simpler:

Here's a widget: http://www.widgetbox.com/widget/youtube-video-widget

But I'm not really sure how to use that. I'm not interested in picking up random videos... I just want to create one of these (or figure out how to better manipulate this widget) with pre-determined videos.

I could call rainless a lot of things. :D One thing I would have to have more to go on.. Is a ripoff. I just do not see in his posting to hint at that.

I have looked at base code and then seen how to best get something whipped up. Guess that is why I like open sauce stuff. I can check the code out. Then give credit if need be.

Rainless you could... Take a look at one of our sister sites. Just pull the page to the very bottom and you will se the links. Hotscripts is a good resource actually.
I usually don't mess with youtube. But there is a few good flv players you can embed with java/AJAX playlists.

Last edited:
rainless, I moved this over to the Programming Forum for you. You might be able to get more help here. :)

mudd

Thanks mudd. :beer:

Yeah "ripoff" might've been a tad... Well it was completely wrong. But I don't think he meant anything by it.

I'm just not sure where exactly to begin with this.

Which is why I linked to the widget. I wouldn't mind some pre-fabricated script (as I really don't want to spend the next week writing code... I don't have that long to complete my project) But I'm not even sure what the hell you're supposed to DO with the widget.

I guess enabling wolf is right: I just need some sort of open-source base or script that I can tailor to my own needs. If the widget could be configured beyong just being able to change the size (ie, being able to display what I want to display... making a few things smaller... few things larger... etc...) that would be great. But as is, you choose your size it generates code, you include that code on page... and it doesn't actually do anything other than look pretty.

So it would be nice to have something LIKE that... only more useful.

And Exige... if you KNOW how to make something like that... I'd appreciate a hint: Ie, 1. Layers 2. Object Tracking 3. Any necessary plugins... etc. I've been using Flash for years... yes. But, obviously, if I knew how to do THAT... I wouldn't be posting here. So if you've got an easy way...

Thanks in advance.

What program are you using for your web app? I assume wordpress?

I looked at the embed and it is flash stuff. I have seen photalbums that do the flipbook stuff in js and ajax framework. Which is why the flash is kind of neat for this stuff.
I am poking around for a video equal. It really depends on your backend though. .. No not that backend.. Some of this stuff has specific requirements for the server. Like MySQL and php5 and such.

If you don't know. I can help you determine what your server has running. I assume you know how to do that. ;)

Yes, I am stalling you while I am poking around. I have not much of a clue really on flash action scripting. I guess I should check it out though so I know the basics.

Oh you asked how to use that widget...

It s as simple as pasting the code in the body of a html document, or your page.

Code:
html .. bla bla
head .. bla bla
<body>
<object classid=></object>
</body>
Save as: page.html

You now have a basic test page. May not validate. But it will display without a webserver.

Edit

Check this out.
http://www.afcomponents.com/components/3d_flow_list_as3/

I guess you can download it.
http://www.afcomponents.com/components/flow_list/

This is really close to what your looking for. So it should give you a good lead on how to do it to for your specs. Or pay for it, which is the fastest way.

Last edited:
What program are you using for your web app? I assume wordpress?

I'm insulted! :)

I use NOTEPAD to do my websites. I just finished completely redoing my tean year old site in PHP. So I've got the whole PHP/Mysql thing down. The server is running the latest version of each.

Oh you asked how to use that widget...

It s as simple as pasting the code in the body of a html document, or your page.

I'm insulted... AGAIN! :)

I *know that*. I just posted above that I can get the thing to run... but when you run it, it doesn't really do anything. You see it EXACTLY how it appears on that page. You don't get to choose which video files it loads (you don't even get to load the video files on display) it just doesn't DO anything but sit there.

Edit

Check this out.

I guess you can download it.
http://www.afcomponents.com/components/flow_list/

NOW you're talking! I'm glad you managed to fit all that into one message. Thanks. :beer:

Is the solution so so ok for you? Or do you want/need more options? I kind of like that action script myself. It is kind of slick. If the ToU allows. Maybe you could modify it some for your needs. The click seems smoother than the hover. Hovers can be wild to control. Click actions seem nicer to me. control too.

I knew you would wake up and read it, so no reason to bump it. By posting more than one time. I just gave you 45 minutes of edits..

Is the solution so so ok for you? Or do you want/need more options? I kind of like that action script myself. It is kind of slick. If the ToU allows. Maybe you could modify it some for your needs. The click seems smoother than the hover. Hovers can be wild to control. Click actions seem nicer to me. control too.

I knew you would wake up and read it, so no reason to bump it. By posting more than one time. I just gave you 45 minutes of edits..

Brilliant! No wonder they turned you blue. :) (Only way I'll ever be a senior is if I sneak into the domain host's building and crack someone over the head... which we don't necessarily want to rule out...)

I've looked at it... but haven't really had a chance to play around with it yet. I still have to install flash on my laptop (every time I try to use my desktop my new cat jumps on the keyboard... gotta get one of those squirt bottles.)

So far so good... the one thing it isn't doing is auto-tracking the mouse.

I don't think it is made to use a hover action. See if the terms of use allow you to modify the action script. If you know flash good, it shouldn't be to much of an issue to add that.
Not sure if it would be onmouseover .. not hip on flash.

I don't think it is made to use a hover action. See if the terms of use allow you to modify the action script. If you know flash good, it shouldn't be to much of an issue to add that.
Not sure if it would be onmouseover .. not hip on flash.

Didn't really come with any terms of use... but if you find a link for it... I'll be sure to give it a read.

So far I can do most of what I want. I know how to put the photos right there in the flash file and how to have them pulled-up from an xml file. I know how to resize the images to my needs. Now if I just had the mouse thing going I'd be golden.

On the download page. Below the checkbox is the agreement.

Here is the actual link.
http://www.afcomponents.com/EULA/

If this does not work for you. Since your a writer. Maybe you could send them a nice note asking if you can modify it and some such. Most places are usually pretty cool if you ask for permission.

You could also peruse the component section and see if there is anything else on the site the suites your fancy. Some of their work is kind of slick.

http://www.afcomponents.com/components/

On the download page. Below the checkbox is the agreement.

Here is the actual link.
http://www.afcomponents.com/EULA/

If this does not work for you. Since your a writer. Maybe you could send them a nice note asking if you can modify it and some such. Most places are usually pretty cool if you ask for permission.

You could also peruse the component section and see if there is anything else on the site the suites your fancy. Some of their work is kind of slick.

http://www.afcomponents.com/components/

Well I don't think I'd have to modify their software... They just have their component section, the entire flash area is mine. All I have to do is make it so that the mouse button is automatically clicked down when you're in the flash zone.

Any idea how to do that?

I really don't know much of flash scripting. If I had motivation and a few weeks. I could finger it out.

rainman, it depends on the version of ActionScript the component is written in. The language supports events, so you're not manually forcing a mouse click... you'd just change the method call from a mouse click event to a mouse hover event. I've not taken a look at the code, as I'm on the road and don't have Flash CS3 installed on my lappy... if you post the code, I may be able to help. AS1 vs AS2 vs AS3 are all very different... so the specific syntax will vary from version to version.

Alternatively, you may want to take a peak around at actionscript.org... great community there. You might be able to find your answer quicker over there. If not post the code and I'll take a look. I'm traveling right now, so my forum access can be a bit sporatic though... just an FYI. ;)

Even though this is sorta a top of the section bump/

Rain, have you found the mouse event? It was sorta cool that my guess at onmuseover (java/ajax) was ...sorta close.

Not a stall, more of a Caturday bump. Have you made progress? You did mention your in a hurry.

Back