• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help: Overclocking - ASrock 4coredual SATA2, Core 2 Duo 2.53

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gapmaster28

Hey,

I have a few questions regarding overclocking my new system setup. What I have:

- ASRock 4CoreDual-SATA2 LGA 775 VIA PT880 Pro/PT880 Ultra ATX Intel Motherboard

- Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor BX80571E7200, 45 nm, 2.53 GHz, 1066FSB, 3 MB Cache

- PNY Geforce 7600 GS 512 MB (400Mhz Core Clock/ 270Mhz Memory Clock)

- 500Watt Power supply (Will this affect OC preformance?)

I am wondering if anybody has any experience with any of this hardware. I have tried using ATItool and Rivatuner and I dont know if one is better than the other.

With ATItool when I run the Find Max Core for both it puts it at about (536Mhz/322Mhz) and it seems to run fine.

With my CPU with my ASrock board I can get it to about 2.77Ghz and If I go much over that my system wont boot. Is this due to my motherboard? It alows me to put it to over 3.0Ghz but it wont run at that.

Also If I overclock to the Max will this greatly decrease my system life and if so what is a safe value to set it under the max? Also with these overclocks should I notice much of a preformance increase for gaming?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
VIA chipsets are meant of stock speeds, while they can oc a little. they wont oc like a intel based board. if you can get a new board, as there is nothing i can suggest that would help. i would say pad mod but that board doesnt support the 333/1333fsb cpus.

the psu's wattage isnt something we can go on, we need to know make/model.

there is no hard data to show that oced cpu life is reduced. i say that cause all of my oced cpus are still oced with other people.

if you want a ocing board look at the Gigabyte EP43-DS3L.

Hi,

I am planning to buy the same motherboard as you: ASROCK 4COREDUAL-SATA2. :)

And I am very interested in buying the Intel E7200 CPU.

Is it really working with this motherboard ? Did you have to upgrade the bios ? If so, did you use a modified bios version ? :confused:

Best regards.

Compatibility of ASROCK 4COREDUAL-SATA2 with E7200 CPU....

Hi,

I am planning to buy the same motherboard as you: ASROCK 4COREDUAL-SATA2. :)

And I am very interested in buying the Intel E7200 CPU.

Is it really working with this motherboard ? Did you have to upgrade the bios ? If so, did you use a modified bios version ? :confused:

Best regards.

Yes the E7200 works with this motherboard and it is a nice mother board as I am just using it as a base to slowly upgrade my hardware since it has DDR and DDR2 support also with AGP and PCI-E. HOWEVER if your looking to overclock with this board I would recomend spending the extra money to get something better. I can only overclock my E7200 from 2.53Ghz to around 2.77 2.8Ghz while being stable anything over that and the system wont boot up. I havnt messed around with the bios to much thas why I posted this thread was looking for some Answers!

Hi and and thx gapmaster28 !

In return, for your information, ASROCK has just confirmed me that this motherboard was officially compatible with Intel E7200 since Bios version 2.0

Moreover, there exists a German site posting modified bios for this motherboard. The latest release is based on official 2.0 and denoted 2.0a. Refer to http://www.pctreiber.net/filebase.php?fileid=2546

It seems that with the modified bios, the motherboard would be capable to support up to 8 Gb of DDR2 memory, instead of 2 Gb.

On French sites, customers have reported that the card is not well suited for overclocking NOR IS THE E7200 CPU in particular!!!

I am not very familiar with overclocking but it seems that all depends on a given ratio, which caracterizes overclocking potential of the CPU and in the case of E7200, the potential would be already very low (no real overclocking margin indeed).

Thus the combination of this board and this CPU leads to very limited overclocking opportunity. In my case, it is not a problem, since I won't play with the settings to boost even more performance by few percents.

Nonetheless, as you mentionned, this board is perfect for owners of old components, thanks to ATA 133, AGP 8x and DDR support.

Best regards :)

I have heard you can overclock the E7200 to around 3.8Ghz with the right motherboard. ASrocks just isnt a good OCing board.

well im at 3.8ghz and im hardly tried to oc the cpu... im sure if i tried i could get higher...

Overclocking Asrock 4coredual-Sata2 with E7200

E7200 runs well on my board with 2.0 rev Bios. When I try to overclock I found by monitoring using Sandra that PCI and PCIe busses are not locked at 33 & 100 Mhz respectively even when set that way in bios. They are tied to cpu freq and end up overclocked! I believe that is why your system won't post above about 2.7 Mhz. Overclocking your PCI bus can corrupt your hard drive and damage it and other boards on your PCI bus. When I get time next week I plan to do a BSEL1 mod to drop my base fsb to 800Mhz. I believe that this will allow untied overclocking. I believe that Asrock had to essentially commandeer the overclocking features to automatically overclock the board to accomodate native 1066fsb cpu's. Using a BSEL mod to tell the board that the cpu has an 800Mhz fsb may unlock the overclock features allowing the cpu to be overclocked to 3gig or so without overclocking the PCI bus. When I try this I'll let you know if it works.

Back