• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Loop W/C-SLI Gaming Rig, Video Build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nan0_man

Dual Loop W/C-SLI Gaming Rig, Video Build. Lots of Pics.

A year (or more) ago, I built a W/C Gaming rig around a NF4 Lanparty and 2 GeForce 7900's. It was for a friend of mine who had no experience with liquid cooling and If I'm honest with myself, the W/C setup was not very user-friendly and he had problems with growth in the loop an leaking. :bang head
SO!
Here we are a yr later and were going to re-do the whole thing with some new parts, a new case, 2 individual loops-one for the CPU and the other cooling the 7900's, and NO DUCT TAPE AT ALL!

I'm video-ing the entire build, starting with the first part which you'll find below where I go through all the components etc we'll be using.

Most everything was purchased from www.performance-pcs.com as I had heard good things about them and being located quite close by meant shipping was cheap and VERY fast.
Big thanks to them for letting me swap some unwanted purchases out, no questions asked and some very neat sleeving work too.
Also got some 1/4inch ID tygon from USPlastics...Minimum of 10 feet! (I only needed 3) and $8 shipping for an envelope with 2 stamps on it.:screwy:
And we had to get another mounting kit from DangerDen for the existing Maze 4 as all those little springs and screws were lost during the melee. (They too pulled the envelope trick....oh well, had to have it.)

Heres part 1, its 79MB by the way so might take a while on slow cons:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7955529908808700601

More to come this weekend...

Last edited:
Today I had some free time so I got on with cutting the round hole for the fan, installing the barbs for the fill tubes on the res's and lapping the Koosah blocks.
Heres some pics:
image001fb1.jpg

Found that this mug was a perfect size for a template....nice.

image002tf3.jpg

The 'Before': My free handed circle.

image003fk1.jpg

The 'After' shot. Much neater.

image004jh5.jpg

Dremmel bit cuts a fairly clean line eh.

image005on9.jpg

Heres one of the Bay Res/Pump combo's.

image006mr8.jpg

Hole marked for drilling.

image009wl1.jpg

Holes finished and barbs installed,(with a little epoxy).

image010st7.jpg

Heres one of the DangerDen Koosah Blocks.

image013tt4.jpg

Before pic of one of the memory areas...quite dull.

image022nf7.jpg

And after lapping to 2000, better I'd say.

Last edited:
image024mt5.jpg

GPU area, Before.

image021qk9.jpg

and after lapping.

image029mf7.jpg

Side by side, for comparison.

image032fh4.jpg

A view from above...shiny!

image031pk3.jpg

Heres the Maze 4, lapped also to 2000.

Wow you are doing a LOT of lapping! Looking great!

I can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck :)

Pardon the question but did you fab that res yourself? looking good, excited to see the finished product.

Pardon the question but did you fab that res yourself? looking good, excited to see the finished product.

That's a XSPC "Bay-Res" Pump/Reservoir Combo

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...e=product_info&cPath=59_367&products_id=22697

276067139.png

Asus Crosshair Phenom 9500 Quad 2.2 Ghz D-Tek FuZion V2 CPU Water Block Mushkin 996533 4GB EVGA Geforce 8800GTS 640MB X2 SLI Swiftech Stealth Extreme Duty G80 Rev 3 VGA Waterblock Zalman ZM-GWB8800 GTS GPU Water Block SB Audigy Seagate ST325041 250GB WDC 250GB Swiftech MCP350 In-Line 12V DC Pump Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Water-block XSPC "Bay-Res" Pump/Reservoir Combo Saint-Gobain Tygon R-3603 Clear Tubing 20' 3/8" ID Black Ice® GT Stealth 120 Highest Performance Radiator Antec NeoPower 650 Watt Blue LED PSU Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 Sunbeam UFO CUBE Acrylic Case Sunbeam RHK-EX-BA Rheobus-Extreme Fan Controller Panel

Hi nano_man

Do you notice that u'll not be able to close your top cover for the SLI setup? You have to do some modification like mine.

Hi nano_man

Do you notice that u'll not be able to close your top cover for the SLI setup? You have to do some modification like mine.

Yeh, i noticed that...still haven't quite decided what im going to do there. lets see a pic of yours, so i can see what you did.

Did some more work today, learned how to sleeve and made a bracket for the fill system, pics follow:

sleevebracket001te7.jpg

PSU before.

sleevebracket023ol0.jpg

And after sleeving.

sleevebracket024lf8.jpg

Temp LCD's after sleeving, (starting to get the hang of it now)

sleevebracket004px4.jpg

Installed the temp sensor into each res with some epoxy.

sleevebracket005hq3.jpg

I needed some kind of bracket to house the fill system, this is what I came up with using the off-cuts left over after cutting the fan holes.

sleevebracket006ja0.jpg

Mocked up, should work like this.

sleevebracket007rt4.jpg

Here are the pieces after dremmel-ing.

sleevebracket008ow1.jpg

Bit of sanding to tidy the edges up...

sleevebracket009hm5.jpg

Pieces after sanding.

sleevebracket010ov0.jpg

Make sure everything fits ok...

Yeh, i noticed that...still haven't quite decided what im going to do there. lets see a pic of yours, so i can see what you did.

I replaced the 4 thumb screws with the given drive mount screws and used Self-adhesive foam weatherstripping around it with rubber bumpers on the 4 corners. I can't even close it with the SLI bridge installed without this modification.

CIMG1942.jpg

CIMG1943.jpg

CIMG1944.jpg

CIMG1945.jpg

I had difficulties choosing the water blocks too for the G80 8800 GTS. so I got one new Zalman ZM-GWB8800 GTS GPU Water Block first from Newegg. And later a got a good deal from ebay for swiftech Stealth Extreme Duty VGA Waterblock. With the Swiftech I can install the Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Water-block for the South Bridge. So I waiting for some more parts to cool the North bridge and the mosfets.

Last edited:
mockup001qh5.jpg

Got some felt pads to cushion the DVD-RW.

mockup002ry7.jpg

PSU and Loop-1 Rad installed.

mockup003kj9.jpg

A look inside the lower level, it's really starting to come together.

mockup004af7.jpg

Side view.

mockup005bs9.jpg

And the front.

I replaced the 4 thumb screws with the given drive mount screws and used Self-adhesive foam weatherstripping around it with rubber bumpers on the 4 corners. I can't even close it with the SLI bridge installed without this modification.

I had difficulties choosing the water blocks too for the G80 8800 GTS. so I got one new Zalman ZM-GWB8800 GTS GPU Water Block first from Newegg. And later a got a good deal from ebay for swiftech Stealth Extreme Duty VGA Waterblock. With the Swiftech I can install the Swiftech MCW30 Chipset Water-block for the South Bridge. So I waiting for some more parts to cool the North bridge and the mosfets.

Well, I had been thinking of routing out some of the 'lid' to accomodate the sli bridge, (Is your bridge bent? looks like it, did you do that?) and if that wont work then ill probably raise tha sides a bit like you did. trying to think what I can use instead of the weather stripping. hmmmm. probably go buy some more acrylic and use strips of it to give the sides more height. hmmmm.

I'm just thinking, Im going to have to be real clever when routing all these cables. case is tighter than I had envisioned.

Well, I had been thinking of routing out some of the 'lid' to accomodate the sli bridge, (Is your bridge bent? looks like it, did you do that?) and if that wont work then ill probably raise tha sides a bit like you did. trying to think what I can use instead of the weather stripping. hmmmm. probably go buy some more acrylic and use strips of it to give the sides more height. hmmmm.

Well The SLI bridge is like some Flexible PCB so it can bent. It came with the Asus Crosshair.

I wish I have the gut to make some hole on the case like u:bang head

I felt the same way until I tried it, then I said to myself..'wow, that was alot easier than I had thought!'

Way I see it, worst case scenario...buy a new case:($79.95US). But so far, so good.

Back