• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New radeon bios editor supports 4850/70

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

keninishna

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1121/TechPowerUp_Radeon_Bios_Editor_v1.11.html

As of right now its the only way to clock past CCC speedlimit for 4850/70's and it has the ability to change fan speed as well as 2d/3d clocks so your card doesn't run hot and suck up power all the time.

EDIT: IT has been determined that GPU-z and ati flash work with the wrong bios size for the hd4970 please make sure you have the latest GPU-Z and ATI flash before you decide to edit your 4870 bios.

Last edited:
Be careful, @ XtremeSystems there are a lot of reports of HD4870's dying after a bios flashing, and it doesn't seem clear yet if it has more to do with the flash utility or the bios used (while it looks more like the former because flashing the original bios is not working for them, the only other possibility would be that something would have made permanent damage to the card...).

If you want more info, here is the link:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192759

I'd wait to see what happens with all this before trying to flash my card...

The OP just says his card died. Winflash can be a bit dodgy if you don't use the correct version. I'd hold off on BIOS flashing for the moment. ;)

OK, has anyone got any info on the best and or safest way to flash bios on a 4870?
Success stories? I've got all the info on fixing a bad bios flash, but there don't seem to be to many posts on how to do this properly and safely the first time.
I thought I would revive this thread instead of making a new one.

Ive flashed mine successfully many times and even botched a flash cause windows decided to crash on me but I was able to recover using another video card and atiflash in dos. My advice is just make sure your bios is 128k and dump it from your card edit it in rbe. then flash it back. If you flash in windows make sure any unnecessary programs aren't running in the background because when windows crashed on me I had gpuz in the background. I can't change the clocks in my bios without windows flickering from just opening and minimizing windows though so I just use it for fan adjustment.

I used Winflash to flash my dual 4870s. First one worked great, second card bricked. Seems like it doesn't like flashing the secondary card. So I booted from a live usb and flashed the bios that way. Much harder IMO, but it worked. I now have 2 4870s both with the ASUS bios, back a few weeks when that was cool. Doubt I'll try flashing them again, both cards at 800/1100 and about 44C idle and haven't looked at load lately, hard to get both of them to loaded lol.

I've been fooling with it for a few hours with no problems. I can't seem to get the fan profile to work correctly, but overclocking is going well. I found a bios that allowed for a little higher voltage than the stock bios did. Idle temps went up ~10c to 52c with 33% fan. I ran it at 850/1100 for half an hour with furmark, and temps maxed at ~70c with 50% fan. (can't wait to put a water cooling system on this rig). I came back in to find my poor power supply screaming for air though. I'm not terribly impressed with this thermaltake 650w unit. It will be replaced soon. I think i'm going to mount an 80mm fan on the back of it to help it out a little.

Anyway, RBE seems pretty sound so far. I'm going to make a boot disk with winflash though before I mess around any more with it.

Can any one with a good 4870 BIOS post theirs? I'm running 2 of them, both are the ASUS top flash and both are good, but I can't get either past 850core, they both will past ati test at 850 but ati tool shows artifacts and games as well. Right now I have them at 800/1250 and they run fine. Ran a 3dmark06 at 825/1250 and it passed, but anything over 825 it failed and showed artifacts.

I run my fans at 50% temps are:

card 1 idle 46C-48C
card 2 idle 42C-44C

ill have to get some load havent really looked, last time i saw it was around 60C or so....

Back